Skip to main content



Daejeon, KOREA

More information about Daejeon

CNU Interactive Campus Map

MIX Korea Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Most exchange students enroll in the CNU Korean Language Course to enhance their Korean language skills. The course plays an important role in cultural exchange at CNU. Other academic areas include Korean literature, Humanities & Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Music & Arts. See all undergraduate schools. There are courses taught in English for students who do not have advanced Korean. Students who already have advanced proficiency may take courses taught in Korean.


Yes - CNU offers many courses taught in English, in a variety of academic areas. CNU Courses in English



Fall Semester Late August - mid December
Spring Semester Early March - mid June
Year Students may study at Chungnam National University for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring.
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

Chungnam National University Academic Calendar


On-campus dormitories as well as an off-campus student boarding house are available. There are several cafeterias and snackbars on campus.
Arrange your own housing
Students may independently rent private off-campus apartments.

More information about Housing at CNU

Note: UHM exchange students may qualify for a housing scholarship from Chungnam National University.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $200-400
  • Books & Supplies: $200-400
  • Room & Meals*: $3,200-4,600
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,200-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $45-65

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

*Note: UHM exchange students may qualify for a housing scholarship from Chungnam National University.


Visa Information: Exchange students use the Certificate of Admission received from their Korean host university to obtain a student visa. Student visas (D-2 visas) are issued at Korean Consulates. Student visas can are typically processed within five working days. Required documents for the D-2 visa are:

  • A valid passport
  • A completed visa application (see website below)
  • Passport size photo
  • $45 fee (other fees apply to non-US citizens)
  • Admissions letter or certificate of registration issued by the president of the college or university.
  • Certificate of bank balance.
  • A copy of Diploma or the most recent school transcript.

Note: These requirements are subject to change. Always refer to the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea website for up to date information:

Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Honolulu

Upon arrival in Korea, students who will be staying for more than 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Seoul Immigration Office.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Chungnam National UniversityChungnam National University