Skip to main content



Sendai, JAPAN

Sendai has long been called "the city of trees."

MIX Japan Map


International Program in Liberal Arts (IPLA) - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Ideal for Economics and Business majors! Students take classes taught in English alongside other international students. Additionally, students take an Independent Studies course as part of their intellectual growth. Courses in Japanese language (all levels) and Japanese culture are also offered.

Junior Year Program in English (JYPE) - Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Ideal for students in Natural Sciences (especially Chemistry and Physics), Engineering, and Agricultural Science! Each student will engage in lab research with a university professor in a relevant research area.

Regular Academic Courses at Tohoku University - Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Students who already have advanced proficiency in academic Japanese may enroll directly in regular university courses taught in Japanese.

Cooperative Laboratory Study Program (COLABS) - Open to graduate students in engineering and natural sciences. Research-oriented program for students in engineering and natural science fields.


Yes - English is the language of instruction in the International Program in Liberal Arts (IPLA) and Junior Year Program in English (JYPE)



Year October - August (academic year)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

Regular Academic Courses taught in Japanese:

Spring Semester Early April - mid August
Year Early October - mid August (academic year)


Exchange students live in the Tohoku University International House or in the University House Sanjo. All rooms are single rooms with shared kitchen/bathroom. Tohoku University Dormitories for International Students
Arrange your own housing Apartment rental info for international students


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,200-6,000
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now


Tohoku UniversityTohoku University