Skip to main content



Beppu, JAPAN

Beppu is located in southwestern Japan, two hours away from Fukuoka city. Beppu City’s beautiful natural surroundings and reputation as an international tourist destination make it an ideal setting for a multicultural university. Beppu to Tokyo is 90 minutes by plane (6.5 hours by train). Learn more about Beppu

Ritsumeikan APU Campus Map (includes many photos of the beautiful campus)

MIX Japan Map


Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Open to students of all levels of Japanese, including students with absolutely no prior knowledge of Japanese language.

Academic areas: College of Asia Pacific Studies - Environment and Development; Culture, Socieity and Media; Hospitality and Tourism; International Relations and Peace Studies; College of International Management - Strategic Management and Organization; Innovation and Economics; Marketing; Accounting and Finance. All courses except for 'Major Seminars', 'Research Seminars', and 'Thesis' are open to exchange students. Exchange students may take chosen subjects in English, plus intensive Japanese language courses. Students who have advanced proficiency in Japanese may take courses taught in Japanese.

Course Syllabi Search Engine


Yes - Ritsumeikan APU offers dual language education. Many, but not all, courses are taught in English.

The language of instruction is noted on the syllabu - the course title ends with a code indicating English (E) or Japanese (J). Courses not marked with E or J may be graduate level courses.



Spring Semester Late March - early August (Quarters SP1 & SP2)
Year Mid September - early August (Quarters FA1-SP2)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.


On-campus dormitory "AP House" is available for exchange students. AP House has single or shared rooms with communal kitchens. There is an on-campus cafeteria, plus an on-campus Cafe. No meal plan is available, but students are free to use the communal kitchens in the AP House.
A weekend homestay options for students who want interaction with a Japanese family. Students may apply for a weekend family upon arrival to APU through the Student Office.

More information on housing options at Ritsumeikan


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,800-5,400
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - All exchange students at APU for one semester or one year are required to enroll in National Health Insurance.


On-Campus Support - There are many offices on campus that offer various types of support to exchange students: Student Office, Academic Office, Career Office, and Health Clinic & Counseling Room.

Get Involved - Additionally, there are over 200 student clubs, in the areas of Sports, Music & Dance, Art & Culture, Volunteer, and Business & Study.

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Ritsumeikan APURitsumeikan APU