Skip to main content



Nishinomiya, JAPAN

Kwansei Gakuin University Campus Map (The Nishinomiya Uegahara Campus is located about halfway between Kobe and Osaka in the city of Nishinomiya.)

MIX Japan Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Students with any level of proficiency in Japanese language may participate.

Academic areas: Exchange students participate in the Japan and East Asian Studies Program (JEASP), which offers courses in Japanese and East Asian Studies. The JEASP has three main academic components:

  • Japanese Language Courses (JLC)
  • Japan Studies Courses (JSC)
  • China and Korea Studies Courses (CKSC)
Students who already have advanced proficiency in Japanese may enroll in regular KGU courses taught in Japanese.

See the KGU Fact Sheet for more info on courses offered.

Academic Areas by Campus

Program for Exchange Students


Yes - Japan Studies Courses (JSC) and China and Korea Studies Courses (CKSC) are taught in English.


Spring Semester Early April - late July
Year Mid September - late July (academic year)

See the KGU Fact Sheet for a detailed academic calendar.


Students with advanced Japanese skills may live in single-sex on-campus dormitories. A housing payment is due via bank transfer prior to arrival.
Arrange your own housing
A limited number of spaces in International Residence 1 & 2 are available for exchange students. 30-minute commute to campus.
JEASP students are typically placed in a Japanese homestay; expect up to a 1-hour commute to campus.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $3,800-4,800
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


Activities for Exchange Students - Upon arrival, exchange students will participate in a 3-5 day orientation program, which is very comprehensive and iincludes a placement test and course registration. Exchange students may sign up for "Nihongo" conversation exchange partners. Students may also attend activities in the Fujita Global Lounge and join clubs (sports) and circles (social groups) at KGU.

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students at KGU who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 14 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now