Skip to main content



Osaka, JAPAN

MIX Japan Map


Open to undergraduate students in all majors. Applicants should have intermediate to advanced Japanese language skills (1 year or more is recommended). Graduate students will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Academic areas: Law, Letters, Economics, Commerce, Sociology, Policy Studies, Foreign Language Studies, Health and Well-being, Informatics, Safety Science, Engineering Science, Environmental and Urban Engineering, Chemistry, and Bioengineering. Exchange students may also take courses in Japanese Language and Culture.

Exchange students may NOT participate in the Kansai University Japanese Language and Culture Program (Bekka).

Course Sylabi for Kansai University courses


Yes - Several Japanese Studies courses courses are conducted in English. Japanese language courses are conducted mainly in Japanese. Most regular courses are taught in Japanese.


Spring Semester Early April - late July
Year Mid September - late July (academic year)


Exchange students may live in the Student House Syurei-ryo (males), the Dormitory Tsukigaoka (females), or in the Kansai University International Dormitory (co-ed; males and females live on different floors). Students may bike or take a train to campus from the dorms. Rooms in the International Dormitory are single occupancy; each floor has a shared kitchen, bathroom, and shower facility. Breakfast and dinner are served in the dormitories.

Kansai University Housing Information


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,700-5,900
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


Student Life at Kansai University - While main activities university students engage themselves in should be their academic and research activities that match their faculty/department programs, there are also other important activities for them. They can be extracurricular activities, sports such as Judo and baseball which are part of the Athletic Association, indoor activities such as tea ceremony, calligraphy, and orchestra which are part of the Cultural Association, group activities such as ESS and Japanese Literature Study Club which are part of the Extracurricular Study Association, and volunteer activities. Students are encouraged to participate in those to foster an independent spirit, develop character, and expand their knowledge.

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Kansai University Kansai University