Skip to main content



Kyoto, JAPAN

Doshisha University has two main campuses: Kyotanabe Campus and Imadegawa Campus. The Office of International Students, International Community Lounge, and the Center for Japanese Language and Culture are located on the Imadegawa Campus. 

MIX Japan Map


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors. Completion of at least one year of university-level Japanese prior to departure for Doshisha is highly recommended.

Academic areas: CJLC "Nichibun" Program: Japanese Language Courses, Japanese/English Language Seminars, Lecture Courses in Japanese Studies and Lecture Courses in International Studies.

Institute for the Liberal Arts: Courses on Japanese culture, society, economy, business, and policy.

Students who show a good command of Japanese language may enroll in regular courses taught in Japanese at Doshisha's undergraduate and graduate schools. Students will take a Placement test before the start of the semester in order to determine classes appropriate for their level.

Academics at Doshisha University


Yes - Courses taugh in English are offered in the CJLC Nichibun Program and the Institute for the Liberal Arts.


Spring Semester Early April - mid August
Year Mid September- mid August (academic year)

Center for Japanese Language and Culture Academic Calendar


Doshisha has six dormitories for exchange students; all of them are off-campus. Exchange students are guaranteed a room if they submit the application form for accommodation (application form and a list of the dormitories are included in they "Application Pack" accepted students are sent).
Arrange your own housing
Exchange students may also choose to live off-campus in private accommodations. Doshisha University provides some resources that will help you with your search.  

More information on Housing at Doshisha University


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,600-7,200
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.


Doshisha Volunteers - Doshisha University Center for Japanese Language and Culture has Japanese volunteer students who help newly-arrived international students get from the Kyoto station to their dormitories. After classes start, the Center for Japanese Language and Culture arranges volunteers to help exchange students in class. There is also an International Lounge at Doshisha where exchange students can go to relax.

Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided. Students arriving at the Narita, Haneda, Chubu, or Kansai Airport will be issued a residence card at the airport.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. You will submit this form when you arrive in Japan and go through Immigration at the airport (Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai airports only; students who arrive at other airports will visit a local immigration office). More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Doshisha University Doshisha University