Skip to main content



Tokyo, JAPAN

Chuo University has several different campuses; the main Tama Campus is located in Hachioji City, a suburb of Tokyo. Hachioji City is about a 45 minute commute by train from the city center of Tokyo. The Korakuen Campus (Science & Engineering) and Ichigaya Campus (Law School) are located in downtown Tokyo, in Bunkyo and Shinjuku, respectively. Chuo University Campuses

MIX Japan Map

MIX Tokyo Map


Open to undergraduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Chuo University is an especially good fit for students interested in cross-cultural studies, economics, and social sciences. It accommodates students of all levels of Japanese language ability. Students who already have advanced proficiency in Japanese may also take regular university courses taught in Japanese.

Chuo University Academic Faculties


Yes - Approximately 20% of the courses offered at Chuo University (Tama Campus) are taught in English.

Note: Engineering and Science courses (Korakuen Campus) are taught in Japanese.

Chuo University Courses Taught in English



Spring Semester April - August
Year September - August

Note: Some courses are full-year, spanning both semesters. Students going to Chuo for just the Spring semester may not enroll in full-year coureses.


Students will mark their preferences on a housing form. Chuo International Residence at Tamadira: Students have private rooms arranged in suites of three rooms, plus shared kitchen and dining facilities. The International Residence is just a short walk from the Tama Campus in Hachioji City. Rent is about 40,000 yen/month, including utilities, futon, and internet (cost subject to change).
Arrange your own housing

Chuo University Apartments at Seiseki-Sakuragaoka : Highrise building in Tama city, approx. 35 minute commute to Tama Campus. Furnished single rooms, for students on yearlong exchanges. Rent is about 40,000 yen/month, including utilities, futon, and internet (cost subject to change). Chuo University Apartments at Higashinakano: Single rooms with kitchenette, for students on yearlong exchanges. Approx. 25 minute walk to Tama Campus. Rent is about 40,000 yen/month, including utilities, and futon + 5,000 yen/month for internet (costs subject to change).

More information on Housing at Chuo University


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $100-300
  • Books & Supplies: $150-250
  • Room & Meals: $4,800-5,600
  • Personal Expenses: $1,500-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,400-2,000
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   

National Health Insurance Program - International students residing in Japan for one semester or one year may be required to enroll in this program through their host university in Japan. Japanese National Health Insurance may not be required if students purchase adequate health insurance in their home country.

JASSO Scholarship - Japanese scholarshipsare offered to a limited number of international students. These scholarships are provided, primarily, to students from nations where economic assistance is needed, etc.


Visa Information - The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay. As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Japanese Consulate. The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area.

Once you have a valid passport and the other required documents, you will need to visit the Consulate General of Japan at Honolulu and apply for a VISA. The Consulate General of Japan is located at 1742 Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96817 USA. Tel: 808-543-3111.

If you are studying abroad for a semester or year, please be sure to apply for a “College Student” status VISA. It is a very difficult and sometimes impossible to get your status changed later.

You will need at least the following documents when applying for your College Student status VISA:

1. Visa application form with passport photos attached (download from Consulate General website).

2. Copy of Certificate of Admission to your host university in Japan. (This is a formal letter that will be sent directly to the MIX Office. You will receive an email when it is available for pick-up.)

3. Certificate of Eligibility (Issued about two months before your departure for Japan)

4. Your valid passport

Upon Arrival in Japan - When you arrive at the airport in Japan, you will go through an Immigration Inspection. Your passport and Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence will be checked, and your residence status and your formal period of stay will be decided.

Part-time work while studying in Japan - Exchange students who are granted the 'Student' status of residence may be permitted to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week) while in Japan, as long as it does not affect their studies. To apply for permission, please fill out an "Application for Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under Status of Residence Previously Granted" when you apply for your visa. More information is available at the Immigration Bureau in Japan website.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Chuo UniversityChuo University