Skip to main content



Shanghai, CHINA

Fudan University Campus Map (Campus is located 20 minutes north of downtown Shanghai)


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Chinese Language & Culture, Chinese History & Culture, Chinese Economy, Chinese Society, Chinese Politics & Diplomacy, Chinese Philosophy and Culture, Chinese Business Law, and Chinese Government & Governance

Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.

View all Fudan University Schools and Departments


Yes - Undergraduate areas offering courses taught in English are: Chinese Language & Culture, Chinese History & Culture, Chinese Economy, Chinese Society, Chinese Politics & Diplomacy, Chinese Philosophy and Culture, Chinese Business Law, and Chinese Government & Governance.

Graduate programs taught in English are: MBA, International Politics, and Global Media & Communication.



Fall Semester September - January*
Spring Semester February - July
Year September - July (academic year)
Summer See MIX Summer Programs for dates.

*Note: If you receive financial aid, you may not study at Fudan University for just the Fall Semester. Doing so will render you ineligible for financial aid for the following spring semester at UHM.


Accommodations are available in the Foreign Students Dormitory. Single and Double rooms are available, with shared kitchens. There is a cafeteria and a gym next to the dormitory building.

Fudan University Housing (International Students Office)


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $200-400
  • Books & Supplies: $200-400
  • Room & Meals: $3,000-4,000
  • Personal Expenses: $1,000-1,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $1,200-1,600
  • Visa Expenses: $310-350

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


Visa Information: Outbound exchange students must apply for a visa to China prior to departure.

Students going to China for an academic year should apply for an X1 Visa, and will also need to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China. Students going to China for one semester may apply for an X2 Visa; please note that the X2 Visa only allows for a single entry into mainland China. Semester-long students who enter on an X2 visa but decide to extend their international exchange to one year will need to apply for a Residence Permit in China.

The fee for X visas is $130 for U.S. citizens; processing time is approximately 4 days (subject to change).

The Chinese Consulate with jurisdiction over Hawaii is located in Los Angeles, CA. Currently, the L.A. Consulate does not accept visa applications through the mail. As such, students will either need to appear in person at the L.A. Consulate, or use a private service that can apply on their behalf (fees vary between $175 and $190; processing time is several weeks).

The L.A. Consulate General of China reported that students will need a JW 201 or 202 form, Letter of Admission from university in China, valid passport, visa application form, and one photo (2"x2"). These requirements are subject to change; students should always refer to the consulate website for the most recent requirements. Students who have traveled to China before may need to show their previous visas as well. Requirements and fees may differ for non U.S. citizens.

Private companies that can assist with the procurement of X visas to China are:

  • East West Global Tours Corp (Address: 1110 University Ave., Suite 305; Phone: 808-943-0898; Email:
  • Four Seasons Holiday Inc. (Address: 2375 Ala Wai Blvd.; Phone: 808-926-3109)
  • Air & Sea Travel (Address: Kukui Plaza, 50 S. Beretania St.; Phone 808-951-9800)
  • World Connection Hawaii (Address: 860 Halekauwila; Phone: 808-391-7518; Email:
  • (Contact Michael Cordova at 415-644-5728)

For additional information on student visas to China, see NAFSA Education Abroad Visa Help.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now


Fudan UniversityFudan University