Financial Aid & Scholarships
for Outbound MIX Students
MIX Financial Aid Tutorial (Click below)
Study Abroad Scholarships
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - For U.S. undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Students must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant in order to apply. Awards are up to $5,000 for a semester, plus an additional $3,000 for students studying a Critical Needs Language (includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships - For graduate students studying language in Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, or Vietnam.
- Bridging Scholarship - For undergradute students in any major who will be studying in Japan. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are $2,500 for a semester or $4,000 for a year.
- Boren Awards for International Study - This scholarship is open to students studying abroad in geographic areas that are critical to U.S. national security. This includes all countries in Asia, but does not include Australia, New Zealand and Western Europe. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are up to $20,000.
- Fund for Education Abroad - Various scholarships available for students who go abroad in the summer, semester, or year.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - For students who study abroad in Germany
- JASSO Scholarship - For exchange students going on short-term study in Japan. Students placed at MIX universities in Japan will receive JASSO application forms from the partner university, if that university has qualified for JASSO funding (Japanese Government Funding).
- Kamehameha Schools Financial Aid and Scholarship Services - For students of Hawaiian ancestry.
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships - Must contact the your local Rotary club to check availability of scholarships and local application deadlines.
- U.S. China Exchange Scholarships (CPE) - For U.S. students who study abroad in China
- Whitaker International Undergraduate Program - For undergraduate students studying biomedical sciences or biomedical engineering. Awards range from $7,500 per semester to $10,000 per year.
University of Hawai'i Funding Sources
- Avis Morigawara Scholarship - For undergraduate students focusing on the study of Japan. Apply in STAR.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for East Asia & Southeast Asia - for UHM students combining modern foreign language training with area/international studies. (Apply online in STAR, keyword FLAS)
- Shidler College of Business Travel Scholarships - Freeman Scholarship (Asia only) and Johnson Scholarship (all locations), for high-achieving business students going abroad. See Undergraduate Academic Advisor Rikki Mitsunaga in the Office of Student Academic Services (OSAS, BusAd B-101) for more information about scholarships and other funding opportunities.
- STAR - UH Student Scholarships - Log in to find UH scholarships for which you qualify.
- UH Diversity and Equity Initiative Award - For students who propose a project addressing issues on race, ethnicitygender, sexual orientation, disability, and culture. Awards are up to $5,000.
- Arts and Sciences Majors - The Arts and Sciences Advisory Council has established awards to help fund special scholarly activities of significant educational value not available through regular coursework.
- Center for Chinese Studies (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan) - Undergraduate Student Funding
- Center for Japanese Studies - Funding for students pursuing Japanese studies at UHM
- Center for Korean Studies - Various scholarships
- Center for Pacific Island Studies - Various scholarships
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies (Singapore, Thailand) - Various fellowships
- School of Pacific and Asian Studies (SPAS) - Various scholarships
Search Engines & Other Scholarship Resources
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - Support for women
Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund - Various scholarships
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship - For students in science, mathematics, and engineering fields
- Diversity Abroad - Various scholarships for study abroad students
- Fastweb - Free scholarship search tool
- Fund My Travel - Easy-to-use Fundraising website
- Gates Millennium Scholarship - For undergraduate students
- GLBTQI Scholarship Resources:
- GoAbroad.com - Free scholarship search tool
- InternationalScholarships.com - International scholarships database
- IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding - Excellent website with information on a number of scholarships. Search by country or by area of study.
- Scholarships.com - Free scholarship search tool
- Studyabroad.com - Study abroad scholarships and financial aid page
- Zinch.com - Free scholarship search engine