Summer Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Charges/Payments and the UH Student Account

Q: When I look at my University Student account on-line at, why is my housing payment $100 less than what I paid?

A: When your initial payment is made, $100 is put into a security deposit account. Unfortunately, this account cannot be seen on-line through the MyUH site. After you checkout and once all post-checkout damage charges have been posted, the deposit will be released into your University Student Account. Once released to your account, the payment will have the description "Man Housing Deposit," and will be applied to the balance of your University Student Account. Any remaining credit balance will be refunded to you.

Q:  I paid my housing and meal costs. Why does my UH student account show that a payment is due?

A.  If you have other UH charges (i.e. tuition, student activity fees, etc.) that are unpaid, the system will redirect your housing and/or meal plan payment and apply it to those other outstanding charges first. Therefore, though you intended to pay off your housing charges, your account may still show a balance due for housing charges if you had other UH charges that needed to be paid off first. Your initial $400 housing payment, however, will be immediately applied to housing charges only ($100 as a security deposit and $300 as rent).

Meal Program

Q: How do I change my meal plan?

A: Residents will have two opportunities (pre-hall opening and post-hall opening) to make changes to their meal plans. Once the semester has begun, residents will have the first two weeks of the semester to change meal plans. Meal plan changes may be made by contacting the Student Housing Services office and must be requested in writing.

Q:  Will the summer meal plans have retail points?

A: The summer meal plans does not include retail points. If you are interested in adding meal plan points, please visit the Manoa One Card website,

Q:  Where can I use my meal plan?

A:  Meal plans may be used at any Manoa Dining Services location on campus. This includes Campus Center Food Court, Jamba Juice, Pizza Hut, Ba-le, Simply To Go, Still Fresh, The Market (Noelani), and at the Hale Aloha and Gateway House cafeterias.


Q: What type of jobs are available on campus?

A: A variety of student assistant jobs are available within Student Housing Services (such as Community Desk Coordinator, Utility, and Grounds) throughout the year. Please see Work @ Housing.
For other on-campus student positions, go to the Center for Career Development and Student Employment in the Queen Liliuokalani Center for Student Services.

Lost Key

Q: Where do I go if I'm locked out?

A: You may go to your front desk during desk hours or call the Staff-On-Call after desk hours.

Rules and Regulations

Q: I was approached for allegedly violating a policy. What happens now?

A: Depending on the severity of the offense, you will receive a request to meet with a Residential Life staff member or a member of the Judicial Affairs Office to discuss the violation and incident. Depending on the type of violation, you may face disciplinary action. Failure to attend the meeting could result in disciplinary sanctions being imposed without your input.

Security and Parking

Q: Is there parking on campus?

A: Yes, however automobile parking is limited to those with parking permits issued by the Commuter Services office. Mopeds and motorcycles may park in designated lots on-campus only if they are registered with the Commuter Services Office and have a parking sticker for that designated lot.

Q: Is there an escort service for the halls?

A: Yes, call Campus Security Dispatch at 66911 and they will try to provide you an escort when you are walking on campus during the hours of darkness.

Front Desk Services and Admin Info

Q: What is a Staff-On-Call?

A: At least one staff member is on duty in each residence hall after business hours, on weekends and during holidays. The On-Call staff member responds to policy violations, lock-outs and emergencies.

Q: Where is the Student Housing Office?

A: Student Housing Services is located in the south facing tower of Frear Hall, 2569 Dole Street.

Telephone: (808) 956-8177
Fax: (808) 956-5995

Q: What procedures do I have to follow to cancel my Housing Contract?

A:The Student Housing Services office must be notified in writing. Your notification must include your university student ID number, provide the effective date of your contract termination, and state the reason that you are terminating your contract. If you have already moved in, you must also notify your hall staff and schedule a formal check-out date and time. Contract cancellation penalties will apply.


Q: Where can I stay if I arrive before or depart after the housing contract begins or ends?

A: A limited amount of spaces are available in our Conference Housing program for those needing accommodations during periods outside of their housing contract. Please visit for more information.

Q:  Are there on-campus accommodations for my parents or other visitors?

A:  Yes. Conference housing provides on-campus accommodations for those needing temporary accommodations. Please visit for additional information.
General Household Questions (laundry, phone, long distance, etc)

Q: I don't get along with my roommate, what do I do?

A: Contact your RA or CIR or any other hall staff member. They will be able to talk to you about the situation, offer you different options about what to do or assist in helping you communicate with your roommate(s). Mediation service is also available through the CIR's.

Q: Where can I do my laundry?

A: Each residence hall has card operated washers and dryers for your use. Locations vary depending upon the building.


Q: How do I receive my mail/packages?

A: Each residence hall is equipped with mailboxes. Mail is delivered Monday thru Saturday (except Johnson Hall which does not have mail delivery on the weekends). Packages must be picked up at the full-service front desk.

Internet/Computing Access

Q:  How can I connect to the Internet from my room?

A:   All student rooms provide direct connections to the campus network through ResNet (residential network). Computers must have a functional Ethernet Network Card with an RJ45 port. Students will also need to provide their own ethernet network cable (straight through ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors). More information can be found on the ResNet webpage.