Emergency Call Boxes
Located throughout the UH Manoa campus are emergency call boxes. These phones can be distinguished by the red box and/or blue light. Emergency call boxes connect callers directly to the University of Hawaii at Manoa Department of Public Safety (UHM DPS) 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and immediately identify the location of the call box. Call boxes are activated by simply lifting the handset from the cradle or by pressing the button. Remain at the call box for DPS officers.
UHM DPS Safety Escort Service
UHM DPS will provide a point-to-point escort service on campus during the hours of darkness for any member of the UHM community who is faced with no other alternative but to walk alone. Residents may request this service by calling the UHM DPS dispatcher at 956-SAFE (7233). Please keep in mind that this is a service provided for the resident’s protection and is not intended to be basic transportation. We encourage people the use of a “buddy” system and to car pool if possible. More information is available on the UHM DPS' website at https://manoa.hawaii.edu/dps/escort.html
General Security Tips for Residence Hall Living
- Thefts can occur from unlocked residence hall rooms occur while the residents of the room are on the same floor, but have just stepped out for one minute. It takes approximately eight seconds for someone to walk into an unattended room and remove something, such as a wallet or cell phone. Residents should lock their door even when only going to the bathroom or to the room next door. Lock the door when in the room, especially when asleep.
- Never leave handbags, billfolds, jewelry, or other valuables unattended in rooms, showers, or lounges. Put them away in a safe place.
- Strangers loitering in or around residence halls should be reported to Student Housing staff.
- Do not prop open residence hall doors that are supposed to be closed.
- Try not to leave small items of value in the room during vacations and long holidays.
- Residents receiving annoying or obscene phone calls should notify UHM DPS at 956-6911, or the resident’s hall staff at once. It may be a prank, but you never know.
- Do not let strangers into the room or building.
Related Safety Resources
|UHM Department of Public Safety||
956-6911 - Emergencies
956-8211 - Non-Emergencies
|Counseling and Student Development Center||956-7927|
|Gender Equity Specialist||956-9499|
|Civil Rights Specialist||956-4431|
|Vice Chancellor for Students Office||956-3290|
|Information Technology Services Safety Office (internet stalking)||956-2400|
|Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Student Services||956-9250|
|Sexual Assault Hotline||524-7273|
|Domestic Violence Hotline||531-3771|
|TRO for family/household members||538-5959|
|TRO for non-related/non-household members||538-5151|
All crimes should be reported to Student Housing Services staff AND UHM DPS as soon as possible. UHM DPS can be reached by phone at 956-8211 (non-emergency) or 956-6911 (emergency).
For additional valuable security service, information, anonymous tips, bomb threats, crime logs and special bulletins visit the UHM DPS website at https://www.manoa.hawaii.edu/dps/.