Student Housing Services History

Recycled Sleeping Quarters: Leftover WWII barracks were used as men's dormitories until 1957, with the opening of the first installment of Johnson Hall, located on the Mauka side of what whas then McCarthy Road (approximately where St. John Hall is today.  With walls made from pressed sugar cane, the dorms, and similar faculty housing next door, provided little privacy.  An ASUH resolution asked the Legislature for better housing, n0oting that about 45 percent of Manoa's full time students were neighbor-island residents.The Student Housing program at UH Manoa began in 1922, when “Hale Aloha” was built. The original Hale Aloha was a wooden building which was located between George Hall and University Avenue, and it housed women only. It was commonly called “The Chicken Coop,” and was in use until the (first) Frear Hall was built in 1952.

During the 1920s and 1930s, men were housed in “Hawaii Hall Annex #1,” and this dormitory was affectionately called “The Boiler Factory,” presumably because it could get quite warm inside.

Sometime in the 1920s (exact date unknown), the original Hale Laulima was built. It was located on Dole St, ewa of University Ave. This dormitory was a cooperative – the students did all the housekeeping and cooking. “Laulima” means “many hands” in Hawaiian.

In 1952, Mary Dillingham Frear Hall was built on the same site as the current Frear Hall. It originally housed 144 women, and was named after Mary Dillingham Frear, who served on the Board of Regents for 23 years. It was in use until the early 2000s, then sat empty for 3‐4 years before being demolished in 2006. In 2008, a “new” Frear Hall opened on the same site as the “old” Frear Hall; the new hall is coeducational and houses 810 residents.

John Alexander Johnson Hall was constructed in 1957 and still stands today. It originally housed 195 men, and is named after a former UH student who was killed in action while commanding the 100th Infantry Battalion in Italy in World War II. Johnson Hall was taken offline for renovations in December of 2010 and will re‐open in August 2011.

International Gateway House was constructed in 1962 and houses 208 residents. It was the first co‐ed dormitory at UH, and was originally designed to house graduate students in a suite‐style setting (2 rooms with an adjoining bathroom). Gateway House was taken off line in September 2011 for renovation, and will re‐open in August of 2012.

Hale Kahawai was built in 1964, and originally housed 140 women. “Hale Kahawai” means “house by the stream” in Hawaiian. After some re‐models, it now holds 156 residents and is a co‐educational facility.

Hale Laulima was built in 1968 and replaced the original Hale Laulima. It has always been a coeducational facility; and currently houses 160 residents.

The Hale Aloha towers are each named after the official flowers of the four most populous Hawaiian Islands. Each tower is co‐educational and holds 260 residents:

  • Hale Aloha Lehua was built in 1970; the Lehua is the official flower of Hawaii Island.
  • Hale Aloha Ilima was built in 1970; the Ilima is the official flower of the Island of Oahu.
  • Hale Aloha Mokihana was built in 1971; the Mokihana is the official flower of the Island of Kauai.
  • Hale Aloha Lokelani was built in 1971; the Lokelani is the official flower of the Island of Maui.
  • Ilima and Mokihana were taken off‐line for renovation in 2008, and re‐opened in August of 2009.
  • Lokelani and Lehua was taken off‐line for renovation in 2009, and re‐opened in August of 2010.

Hale Noelani was built in 1977, and houses 524 residents in a Wainani 1976 proposed drawing

Hale Wainani was built in 1978, and houses 650 residents in a co‐educational setting. “Hale Wainani” means “House of Beautiful Water” in Hawaiian.

Hale Anuenue was built in 1978, and originally served as housing for the Rainbow Warrior football team. It was originally paid for by the football booster club, and was originally managed by the Athletics Department. It was turned over to Student Housing Services in the early 1990s, and currently houses 42 residents in single rooms. “Anuenue” means “rainbow” in Hawaiian.

 

Extending the Student Housing Legacy

Student Housing Services began a rapid modernization of it’s program in 2008. A comprehensive “Residential Learning Program” model was implemented, the Residential Life program was modernized, professional Residence Directors began replacing student Hall Directors, and facility renovations began to occur at a rapid rate. New offices opened for the Residential Life and Operations sections in 2012. Student Housing will continue to modernize services, complete a plan to replace Wainani and Noelani low rise buildings with new apartment complexes, and continue it's legacy of providing quality experiences for residents.

Student Housing buildings from Tantalus