Cable TV

All televisions must be equipped with a QAM Tuner. The majority if televisions sold in the last five years have the QAM tuner built in.​ ​Check your television manufacturer's documentation or website to verify that your TV has a QAM tuner. Residents will also need a coaxial ("coax") cable, ​a 75 Ohm RG-6 coaxial cable with F-type connectors is recommended, to connect the television to the wall outlet.​

If you do not have a QAM tuner you should purchase a digital-to-analog converter box that has a QAM tuner. Most retail stores that sell televisions will also sell the converter box.  Boxes vary in price from $40 to $100.

The following boxes are known to work:

The following TVs were known not to have a QAM tuner:

  • Element ELEFW231
  • Element ELEFW328
  • RCA LED40C45RQ
  • RCA LED32B30RQ
  • Seiki SE24FT07

Televisions will need have their antenna and channel settings updated. Refer to your products owner manual for details.  Programming is typically done by setting your television's antenna to "Cable" (or "CATV, "CATV-IRC"). You will also need to reprogram/scan your TV once you make this change.

All residents will have to provide their own CATV cables

For your TV to connect the the cable TV system you will need a 75 ohm RG-6 CATV cable.  It must have an F-type connector which will connect your TV to the wall jack.

We suggest 6 feet for all residence halls and bedrooms and 15 feet for living rooms in the apartments.

The Voice/Data/CATV Jacks

Be sure you plug the correct cable into the correct port in the new jacks. Plugging your phone cable in the data port will damage the port and you may be held responsible for damaging the port. The following picture illustrates the proper placement of Telephone, Internet, and Cable TV cables:

Telephone, Data, Cable TV Outlet

Reporting Problems

Cable TV Problems:

Physical cable TV jack problems (jack pushed in or out of the box) should be reported to ResNet support at (808) 956-6800, M-F 9AM-5PM. 

You may also submit a pilikia and select category: Resnet -> TV -> Broken TV Jack

Internet Problems:

Problems with your network connection should be reported to ResNet support at (808) 956-6800, M-F 10AM-6PM.

Phone Problems:

Problems with your phone line should be reported to the operator by dialing zero on your phone. If you are unable to use your phone go to your building front desk and call from that phone. Operator hours are normal business days, M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM. To allow a phone technician into your room you are required to fill out a form available at the front desk.

Phone service is not included but are available upon request and require a one-time activation fee.  The following rules apply:

  • There will be a fee of $19 per activation per academic year that will be charged to your student housing account.
  • No refunds or credit will be given once the activation request is submitted.
  • If you transfer to another room you will need to submit a new service request and a new payment of $19.
  • Phone numbers are assigned to the room and cannot be transferred between rooms.
  • Phone number will be tentative until activation, after which you will be contacted with the permanent number.
  • At the end of the academic year, phone service will automatically be terminated.  If you wish to continue your service into the next academic year, please submit a new request at least 3 weeks prior to the end of the year.
  • These phone lines can dial local numbers only.
  • Phone unit is not provided.
  • Bring student ID when turning in completed form.

If you are interested in this service you may fill in a Student Housing Phone Service Request at the Resnet Computer Lab during regular office hours (M-F 9AM-5PM excluding holidays).

Long-distance calls may be made by using a phone card.