1. To what airport should I book my flight?
Participants should fly to the Hawaii Island – Hilo Airport (Airport code ITO). From ITO, participants can then take ground transportation (taxi, etc.) to conference venue/hotel.
2. How can I get to the campus from airport?
The conference address is 200 W. Kāwili St. Hilo, HI 96720-4091. If you don’t plan to rent a car, Uber or Lyft will be a good option for you. It will take approximately 10 minutes and cost around $15. If you choose to take a taxi, it will cost around $25.
3. Will HARC accept a request to schedule a particular paper presentation for a specific day or time?
It is not possible to accommodate requests to schedule a paper or session for specific days or times. We respectfully ask you to understand that the schedule must be set with the assumption that track chairs and presenting authors will be attending the conference the entire three days of paper sessions. Please plan to attend the three days of HARC, 8am-5pm.
4. By when do I have to register for the conference?
For authors: If your papers is accepted, and you would like it to be included in the proceedings, at least one of the co-authors must register by October 1, 2019.
For all participants: We strongly encourage all participants to complete the conference registration as early as possible so we can ensure that all registration requests/needs can be met. The conference capacity is limited and when the capacity is met, we will close registration.
5. What is included in the full conference registration? Will meals be provided?
The full conference registration includes attendance at all conference sessions, possible workshops, three breakfasts, three lunches, and refreshment breaks.
6. I have special dietary needs. How can I request special meals?
Meals for the conference are catered. Catered foods will include at least one vegan Vegetarian and one gluten free dishes. We are unable to accommodate other special requests.
7. Can I bring a guest?
Guests are welcome but they must pay for their own meals. Guests are not admitted to any conference sessions.
8. I need a visa to travel. How do I obtain a letter of invitation?
After completion and payment of your conference registration, please contact the HARC Conference Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an invitation letter. As visa requests can take several weeks, registrants are strongly encouraged to contact us at least 3 months prior to the conference by October 1, 2019.
9. What is the refund policy for conference registration cancellations?
Requests for a refund or cancellation must be received in writing at email@example.com by December 1, 2019.
- October 15, Deadline for a full refund minus a $50 administrative fee
- December 1, Deadline for a full refund minus a $100 administrative fee
The University of Hawai’i’s refund process takes up to two months. Refunds are in the form of a check payable in United States dollars. Banks outside the United States will charge fees for processing these checks. If the original method of payment is by check, the refund will be made to the issuing party. If the original method of payment is credit card, a check refund will be made to the credit card holder. The refund check will be mailed to you.
*Please note that if your registration is cancelled, your paper will not be included in the conference proceedings. Hotel cancellations must be made directly with the hotel.
We strongly suggest that you register for the conference only if you believe that you will attend.
10. When will the presentation schedule be released?
The presentation schedule will be published on the HARC website by December 5, 2019. Note that the schedule is subject to constant updates.
11. When should I arrive at the conference?
We recommend that you arrive at least one day before the conference starts. The paper sessions start on January 3, 2020, at 8:30 a.m.
12. What is the recommended attire for the conference?
Conference attire will be casual and comfortable. Layered clothing may provide the greatest comfort since meeting room temperatures may be cool.
13. Will wireless Internet be available?
Free, UH Internet access will be available for use by conference participants throughout the conference period.
14. I am driving and will need to park. What are my options?
You may park at the University of Hawai’i at Hilo. The parking is for free during the conference.