Program Modification

All major modifications in graduate programs require a recommendation for approval by the Graduate Council. Minor program modifications, such as changing or substituting a course, will be recommended for approval by the Office of Graduate Education and then routed for approval by the VCAA.

To request approval on program modifications, submit a memo addressed to the VCAA via the Dean of Graduate Education. Please allow time for the approval process before changes are to take effect. Changes should not take effect prior to approval. The memo should explain and justify the rationale behind any request to modify a program of study. Include an updated program sheet to show what requirements of the program will look like if approved. The following outlines the administrative procedure for major modifications to graduate programs:

  • Modification proposed by graduate program
  • Review and endorsement by department chair
  • Review and endorsement by college dean
  • Review and endorsement by Graduate Council
  • Review and endorsement by Office of Graduate Education
  • Review and endorsement by Vice Chancellor for Research
  • Review and endorsement by Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, who in turn informs the President and the Board of Regents.