- Any and all revisions to this document shall be submitted in writing to Fleet Services by the unit head/authorized representative.
- State-owned vehicles shall be used for official University-related business only.
- Parking permit/fee requirements are waived for vehicles displaying State Plates while on official business only. Vehicles must park in marked, non reserved stalls only (Special Events included).
- The use of State of Hawai’i or University of Hawaiʻi decal on any vehicle NOT procured through the Department of Accounting and General Services (DAGS) or University of Hawaiʻi Fleet Services is prohibited. Vehicles must bear State plates.
- The safety of rental vehicle garaged/stored away from Fleet Services shall be the responsibility of the assigned user unit and/or driver.
- Operators shall drive safely and obey all City & County and University traffic and parking ordinances, rules, and regulations. Fines for traffic violations or crimes shall be the responsibility of the operator and user unit, except in the case of moving violations, in which the driver of the vehicle at the time of the infraction is responsible. State-owned vehicles shall be operated only by authorized state officials and employees or registered students with valid driver’s licenses. Unit supervisors may authorize student employees or registered students with valid driver’s licenses to drive state-owned vehicles for official University-related business.
- Individuals who are not state employees or state officials may be permitted to operate state-owned vehicles with the prior approval of the respective unit head. At no time shall unauthorized riders be permitted in a state-owned vehicle. Operators shall be required to pre-check the vehicle and report any damages prior to use.
- Smoking is prohibited in the University of Hawaiʻi vehicles. Passengers and vehicle operators shall not smoke while in a University vehicle.
- The use of electronic mobile devices is prohibited while operating a University of Hawaiʻi vehicle.
- Any and all accidents shall be reported to Fleet Services. Please fill out the State of Hawaiʻi Accident Form (RMA-001) and send it to our office (Fleet Services, 2027 East West Road and email firstname.lastname@example.org) along with any additional information/reports (i.e. police and/or UHM Public Safety reports).
Fleet Services Oʻahu Policy Manual
Termination of Services for Federal Funded Accounts (Effective June 1, 2001)
Since June 1, 2001, Fleet Services has ceased providing services to federal funded accounts. Thus, federal funded accounts cannot be charged or billed for services provided by us.
General Travel Policies
- State-owned vehicles shall be operated only by authorized state officials and employees possessing a valid driver’s licenses. University units may authorize student employees or registered students with valid driver’s licenses to drive state-owned vehicles for official University business.
- Individuals that are not state employees or state officials may be permitted to operate state-owned vehicles with the prior approval of the respective Organizational or University unit head.
- Operators of state-owned vehicles shall be personally responsible for vehicles assigned to or operated by them should damage result through negligence, misuse, or abuse. All damages or missing parts found on UHM Fleet Service vehicles which are assigned to a University unit shall be reported to the University unit with a cost estimate to correct these deficiencies. Failure to pay for the repairing of damages or the replacement of lost items by the University unit may warrant cancellation of vehicle assignment and refusal of future service. Should a state-owned vehicle be damaged beyond repair, the user unit will be required to reimburse UHM Fleet Services an agreed-upon fair market value of the damaged vehicle. Operators of UHMFS rental vehicles shall be required to pre-check the vehicle to be used and report and damage or lost items to the UHM Fleet Services Office prior to use. Upon the return of the UHMFS rental vehicle, UHM Fleet Services shall inspect the vehicle for any new damages or lost items. If there are any damages or lost items, the responsible University unit shall be notified and billed accordingly. The operator may be charged for such damages or lost items through legal procedures and may be subject to further disciplinary action.
- At no time shall unauthorized riders be permitted in a state-owned vehicle. Riders essential to or part of the University unit shall be considered authorized riders. Operators who permit unauthorized riders may be subject to disciplinary action. Authorized operators of state-owned who incur parking fees, parking meters, and other toll expenses while on official University business shall seek reimbursement from their respective University units. Employees are expected to examine the reasonableness of such charges on the same basis as if they were paying these charges personally.
- The fact that an employee is authorized to drive a state-owned vehicle is not an approval of the use of such vehicle for purposes other than official University business.
- Where a state-owned vehicle is to be used for official University business at times other than official business hours (such as weekends, legal holidays, or evenings), a written request shall be submitted in advance by the University unit for approval by the manager of Commuter and Fleet Services.