All M.A. and Ph.D. programs offered by EALL are recognized Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) regional graduate programs. Residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming, with a GPA of 3.5+ are eligible, upon admission, to enroll at the Hawai’i resident tuition rate. For more information, please visit this link.
A number of graduate assistantship positions (generally teaching positions) are available every year to qualified graduate students. Normally a GAship requires 20 hours of work per week, and if awarded the student will receive a full tuition waiver, medical benefits, and a monthly stipend. All students with GAship are still liable for activity and other fees. Further information, including details on salary rates, is available from the graduate division website. The graduate division also publishes a graduate assistant handbook.
When a GAship position becomes available, it will be posted on the Department e-mail list for graduate students (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Continuing students may reactivate, update or replace a previously submitted application.
- Applicants to the EALL Graduate Program are encouraged to submit an application for a GAship with their admission application materials.
The application form is available online here. Although three letters of recommendation are required, an applicant may request that the three letters of recommendation submitted for admission to the graduate program also be used for the application for the position of Graduate Assistant in lieu of submitting additional letters. Please make sure to review the guidelines for language teaching GAs and the GA selection criteria before applying.
A number of financial aid and work opportunities are also available through the college, the university, affiliated centers of study, and outside organizations.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Center for Chinese Studies Funding
- Center for Japanese Studies Scholarships
- Center for Korean Studies Scholarships Opportunities
- Center for Okinawan Studies Funding
- College of Languages, Linguistics & Literature Funding Opportunities for Students
- East-West Center Scholarships and Fellowships
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS)
- Graduate Student Organization Grants & Awards
- International Student Services Scholarships
- Office of Graduate Education Financial Support
- Soroptimist Founder Region Fellowship Grant
- Student Employment & Cooperative Education
- Watanabe Scholarship
- WCFIA Program On U.S-Japan Relations Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Work at UH job Listings (including GAships)
- UHM Financial Aid Services
- UHM Scholarships