Ph.D. Program Admissions Requirements
Admission to the PhD program requires a master’s degree in planning. In exceptional circumstances candidates with either an advanced research background or exceptional professional experience, but who do not have an M.A. degree, may be admitted. Admission may be granted with the understanding that some background courses or examinations may be required.
Consideration for admission requires a GPA of at least a 3.5 in previous graduate work. Applicants are also required to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for verbal, math and analytic sections, with a minimum combined score of 300. Non-native speakers of English are also required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS Academic score of 100 iBT and 7.5 respectively.
Applicants are also expected to submit evidence of advanced work such as a research report or sole-authored plan.
- As is the case with the MURP degree, applicants to the PhD submit some materials directly to the department and some directly to the Graduate Division.
- The Graduate Division reviews all graduate study applications and sends those meeting basic criteria to the appropriate academic departments.
- Once the department receives official documents from the Graduate Division and has received all materials from the applicant, department faculty meet to consider the application.
PhD applicants submit the following directly to the Graduate Division:
- The Application for Graduate Admission form
- One official transcript from each college or university attended since high school
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores and TOEFL scores for those who are non-native speakers of English
The following are to be submitted directly to the admissions committee of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning:
- Two letters of reference from persons well acquainted with the applicant’s academic or professional work
- An example of the applicant’s professional work
- Completed Admissions Assessment Form
- Completed Express Information Form
- Completed Statement of Objectives
The deadline for receipt of application materials is January 1 for admission the following fall semester. (GRE scores and letters of recommendation will be accepted after this deadline, but no action will be taken on the application until all relevant application materials have been received).