Dance Major (BFA)
Bachelor of Fine ArtsThis program is designed for students who wish to pursue professional careers as dancers, teachers, and/or choreographers. Admission to the program is by audition held annually, usually in April.
Incoming students should declare BA Dance as their major then audition for the BFA degree program during the spring semester of that academic year if interested in the BFA program.
Course RequirementsStudents must complete 62 credit hours, including:
- DNCE 151, 250, 360, 361, 362, 370, 371, 372, 452, 453
- 1 credit hour of DNCE 495
- 6 credit hours of DNCE 321
- 6 credit hours of DNCE 331
- 3 credit hours of DNCE 470 or 480
- 2 credit hours in two different Asian or Pacific dance performance courses and at least one of those in Asian dance
- 6 credit hours of ballet technique at the 300 level or higher (DNCE 321 or 421) or 6 credit hours of modern dance technique at the 300 level or higher (DNCE 331 or 431)
- 6 credit hours of DNCE 421 or 431
- 2 credit hours of THEA 200C, 200D, or 200E
Other RequirementsBFA Dance students are required to participate in at least two UH dance productions per year. At least one must be in a performance capacity. Attendance at the BFA audition is required each year by the BFA major. Prior to the Senior Project (DNCE 495), BFA students must audition choreography for a fall or spring student concert by the sixth semester of the dance major. BFA majors are required to register for a technique course every semester.
Graduation requirements include the submission of a portfolio of student work including a student assessment essay, exit interview, and survey.
For information on a Bachelor Degree Program Sheet, go to www.manoa.hawaii.edu/ovcaa/programsheets/.