Dance Major (BA)
Bachelor of Arts in DanceThis degree is designed for students with a broad interest in dance and allows them maximum flexibility to satisfy requirements in their greatest areas of interest.
Students must complete 40 credit hours: 29 credits of required courses and 11 of elective courses. BA majors are required to register for and attend a technique course each semester. Elective credit hours are determined in consultation with an advisor and based on the student's desired focus within dance, such as children's dance, choreography, dance ethnology, or technical theatre production.
- DNCE 151, 255, 260, 360 or 361, 370 or 490, 452, or 453
- THEA 200C, 200D, or 200E
- 12 credits of dance technique at the 200 level or above, including:
- 3 credits in ballet
- 3 credits in modern dance
- 3 credits from two different Asian/Pacific dance forms and at least one of these in Asian dance
- 11 credits of focus electives to be selected from:
- DNCE 250, 360, 361, 362, 370, 371, 372, 452, 453, 459, 470, 480, 490, 499, 660, 693, MUS 107, Asian and Pacific performance courses, related courses in ethnomusicology, Asian theatre, anthropology, Hawaiian studies, Pacific Island studies, or ethnic studies
Other RequirementsBA Dance students are required to participate in at least one UH dance production per year (eg., student dance concerts, main stage dance concerts) as a performer or stage crewmember. BA majors are required to attend the annual end-of-year assessment class/BFA audition. BA majors are required to take at least one technique class per semester.
Graduation requirements include the submission of a portfolio of student work including a student assessment essay, exit interview, and survey.
For information on a Bachelor Degree Program Sheet, go to www.manoa.hawaii.edu/ovcaa/programsheets/.