Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-7247
Fax: (808) 956-3894
Hue V. Nguyen
Soil Scientist & Professor
Soil chemistry/fertility, plant nutrition, bio-residuals management -Soil & plant Analysis- Heavy metal chemistry, Organic fertilizers
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Saigon; M.S., Soil Fertility, Auburn Univ.; Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, Auburn Univ.
Soil chemistry with particular interest in organic matter management (e.g., composting, manure applications, and agricultural use of biosolids), and in monitoring of environmental pollution. His research areas include soil acidity, organics-minerals interactions, soil and environmental quality, plant nutrition, and soil remediation.
- Hue, N.V. 2012. Arsenic chemistry and remediation in Hawaiian soils. International J. Phytoremediation vol. 15 (2). DOI: 10.1080/15226514.2012.683206.
- Pant, A., T. Radovich, N. Hue, S. Miyasaka. 2012. Pak Choi (Brassica rapa, Chinensis Group) yield, phytonutrient content, and soil biological properties as affected by vermicompost to water ratio used for extraction. HortSci. 47:395-402.
- Hue, N.V. 2011. Alleviating Soil Acidity with Crop Residues. Soil Science 176:543-549.
- Ortiz-Escobar, M.E. and N.V. Hue. 2011. Changes in soil properties and vegetable growth in preparation for organic farming in Hawaii. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 42:2064-2072.
- Hue, N.V. 2010. Arsenic levels, chemistry and bioavailability in Hawaii. In: Gilkes RJ and Prakongkep N, eds. Proceedings of the 19th World Congress of soil science. Brisbane, Australia. ISBN 978-0-646-53783-2
- Hue, N.V. and R.L. Fox. 2010. Predicting plant-phosphorus requirements for Hawaii soils using a combination of P sorption isotherms and chemical extraction methods. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 41(2): 133-143.
- Hue, N.V. 2009. Iron and phosphorus fertilizations and the development of proteoid roots in macadamia. Plant and Soil, DOI: 10.1007/s11104-008-9820-0, Vol. 318:93-100..
- Pant, A.P., T.J.K. Radovich, N.V. Hue, S.T. Talcott, and K.A. Krenek. 2009. Vermicompost extracts influence growth, mineral nutrients, phytonutrients and antioxidant activity in Pak choi (Brassica rapa cv. Bonsai, Chinensis group)grown under vermicompost and chemical fertilizer. J. Sci. Food and Agric. DOI 10.1002/jsfa.3732.
- Hue, N.V. 2008. Development, impacts and management of soil acidity in Hawaii.J. Hawaiian & Pacific Agric.vol. 15.
- Ortiz-Escobar, M.E. and N.V. Hue. 2008. Temporal changes of selected chemical properties in three manure-amended soils of Hawaii. J. Bioresource Techn.99:8649-8654.
1. Assessment, chemistry, and remediation of arsenic in Hawaii soils
Granting agency: USDA/NIFA
From: 2010 to 2013
2. Improving Soil Productivity with Composts and Biochars
Granting agency: Hatch
From: 2013 to 2015
- Sherman 218 - Soil Chemistry - Members