Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-5698
Fax: (808) 956-3894
Joseph D. DeFrank
Specialist in Weed Science
Vegetables in gen.-Weed Management Ornamentals in gen.-Weed Management Turf in gen.-Weed Management Ground Covers in gen.-Weed Management-Pesticide Application License (Cat. 10)
Penns Cove Regional High School B.S., Rutgers, 1977; M.S., Michigan State University, 1979; Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1983
No-tillage farming; Weed control in vegetable and ornamental crops, and turfs; Ground covers in orchards; Establishment of native Hawaiian plants on roadways
- Brosnan, J.T., J. DeFrank, M. Woods and G. Breeden. 2009. Sodium Chloride Salt Applications Provide Effective Control of Sourgrass (Paspalum conjugatum Berg.) in Seashore Paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum Swartz.) Turf. Weed Technology: 23:251-256.
- Brosnan, J.T., J. DeFrank, M.S. Woods and G.K. Breeden. 2009. Efficacy of Sodium Chloride Salt Applications for Control of Goosegrass (Eleusine indica L.) in Seashore Paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum Swartz) Turf. Weed Technology 23:179-183.
- Brosnan, J.T., R.K. Nishimoto and J. DeFrank. 2008. Metribuzin-Resistat goosegrass (Elusine indica L.) in Bermudagrass (Cynodon spp. L.) turf. Weed Technology (22) No. 4:675-678.
- Baldos, O.C., J. DeFrank and G. Sakamoto, 2009. Effect of pre and post emergence herbicide application timing on hydroseeded Fimbristylis cymosa. 2009 Hawaii Conservation Conference, Hawaii in a changing climate: ecological, cultural, economic and policy challenges and solutions, July 28-30, 2009. Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu HI.
- Baldos, O.C. and J. DeFrank. 2009. Screening of pre-emergence herbicides to improve roadside establishment of transplanted Sporobolus virginicus (L.) Kunth, a native Hawaiian grass. Abstract #91, pg 10. 21st Annual CTAHR Student Research Symposium, April 3-4, 2009. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu.
- Moata, M.R.S. and J. DeFrank. 2009. Utilization of piligrass (Heteropogon contortus) as a living mulch for cabbage (Brassica oleracea L. var. Capitata) production. Abstract #44, pg 5. 21st Annual CTAHR Student Research Symposium, April 3-4, 2009. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu.