Robert V. Cooney  PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences & EpidemiologyJohn A. Burns School of Medicine – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Phone: 808.956.5775work Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Lipid-soluble antioxidants and vitamins and prevention of chronic diseases of aging.
- Conroy SM, Maskarinec G, Morimoto Y, Franke AA, Cooney RV, et al. (2013) Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Circulating Markers of Inflammation and Adiposity in a Nested Case-Control Study: The Multiethnic Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2013;22(3):337-47.
- Cooney RV, Chai W, A. A. Franke, Caberto C, Wilkens LR, et al. (2013) Plasma Lipid-soluble Micronutrients, C-Reactive Protein and Survival in Colorectal Cancer Patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22(7):1278-88.
- Chai W, Bostick RM, Franke AA, Cooney RV. (2013) Effects of Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation on Blood Pressure and Serum Lipids and Carotenoids: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Clinical Trial. Annals of Epidemiology 23:564-70.
- NIH/NCI 1 RO3 CA169990-01. Markers and mediators of inflammation and survival in colorectal cancer patients.
- NIH/NCI RO3 CA132149-01. Interactions of coenzyme Q10 with plasma tocopherols and their role in breast cancer prevention.
Treena Wasonti:io Delormier  PhD, PDt
Assistant Professor, Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences & CHL Seminar InstructorOffice of Public Health Studies – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Phone: 808.956.5742work Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Indigenous Peoples’ Health; Public Health; Health Promotion; Nutrition; Indigenous Food Systems; Family Food Practices; Food Security; Community/University research partnerships; Diabetes Prevention; Childhood Obesity Prevention.
- Taualii M., Delormier T. & Maddock J. (2013) A New and Innovative Public Health Specialization Founded on Traditional Knowledge and Social Justice: Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Health Hawaii Journal of Medicine & Public Health 72(4):143.
- Willows N., Hanley A. & Delormier T. (2012) A Social Ecological Framework to Understand Weight Related Issues in Aboriginal Children in Canada. Applied Physiology, Nutrition & Metabolism 37(1):1-13.
- Cargo M., Delormier T., Levesque L., McComber A.M. & Macaulay A.C. (2011) Community capacity as an “inside job”: Evolution of perceived community ownership within a university-Aboriginal community partnership. American Journal of Health Promotion 26(2):96-100.
- Health Canada, Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative, Food Security Grant (2013-15).
- Northern Contaminants Program – Methylmercury and fish consumption in Tulita NT (2010-2013)
Andrew Grandinetti  PhD
Specialization Head: EpidemiologyUniversity of Hawaii office of Public Health Studies
Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Dr. Grandinetti's area of interest is on disparities in the prevalence of diabetes, diabetes complications, and cardiovascular risk factors in Hawai‘i's multi-ethnic population. He also has had a long standing collaboration with the Honolulu Asian Aging Study, and is currently reanalyzing data on the relationship of smoking history with risk for Parkinson’s disease.
- Townsend C, Takishima-Lacasa JY, Latner JD, Grandinetti A, Keawe'aimoku Kaholokula J. Ethnic and Gender Differences in Ideal Body Size and Related Attitudes among Asians, Native Hawaiians, and Whites. Hawai'i journal of medicine & public health : a journal of Asia Pacific Medicine & Public Health. 2014 Aug;73(8):236-43. PubMed PMID: 25157324.
- Maskarinec G, Jacobs S, Morimoto Y, Chock M, Grandinetti A, Kolonel LN. Disparity in Diabetes Risk Across Native Hawaiians and Different Asian Groups: The Multiethnic Cohort. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2014 Aug 27.
- Lin C, Grandinetti A, Shikuma C, Souza S, Parikh N, Nakamoto B, et al. The effects of extended release niacin on lipoprotein sub-particle concentrations in HIV-infected patients. H J Med & Pub Health. 2013 Apr;72(4):123-7.
- 2013-present. PD and smoking revisited – reanalysis of protective affect of smoking and PD using Fine and Gray’s subdistribution model for competing risks. Kuakini Medical Center, Honolulu Asia Aging Study.
- 2008-2011. Cardiovascular autonomic function in HIV virologic failure (1 K23 HL088981-01A2) Grantee: Dominic C. Chow, MD, Funding source: NIH/NHLBI, Role: mentor.
Claudio R. Nigg  PhD, FSBM
Professor, Department of Public Health SciencesUniversity of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Phone: 808.956.2862work Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Theories of behavior change, Motivation to engage in health behavior, Exercise/physical activity, Multiple health behavior change, Childhood obesity, Youth, Aging, General Population.
- Nigg, C., Geller, K., Adams, P., Hamada, M., Hwang, P. & Chung, R. (2012). Successful Dissemination of Fun 5 – A Physical Activity and Nutrition Program for Children. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research, 2, 276-285.
- Ollberding, N. J., Nigg, C. R., Geller, K. S., Horwath, C. C., Motl, R. W., & Dishman. R. K. (2012). Food Outlet Accessibility and Fruit and Vegetable Consumption. American Journal of Health Promotion, 26, 366-370.
- Nigg, C. R., Geller, K. S., Motl, R. W., Horwath, C. C., Wertin, K. K., & Dishman, R. K. (2011). A Research Agenda to Examine the Efficacy and Relevance of the Transtheoretical Model for Physical Activity Behavior. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12, 7-12.
- NICHD/NCI/NIDDK (1R01HD057229. Intervention for PhysicaL Activity in Youth – IPLAY: The Impact of an Environmental and Curriculum Change on Children’s Obesity Related Behaviors.
- SAMSHA & Hawaii DOH Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division. State Prevention Framework – Partnerships for Success (SPF-PFS) Epidemiology. Epidemiological lead of the HI SPF-PFS project relating to statewide adolescent alcohol prevention.
Current Graduate Students (Chair)Doctoral
- Michelle Rathke, PhD in Nutrition candidate, Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Katie Amato, DrPH candidate, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Megan Cagasan, MPH candidate, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Jasmine Pang, MPH candidate, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Rhoda Castillo, MPH candidate, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa.