Carol J. Boushey  PhD, MPH, RD
Associate Research Professor and Director Nutrition Support Shared Resource, University of Hawai‘i Cancer CenterUniversity of Hawai‘i Cancer Center – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Phone: 808.564.5915work Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Nutritional epidemiology, dietary assessment, interventions, biomarkers of dietary intake.
- Kelkar S, Boushey CJ, Okos M. A method to determine the density of foods using X-ray imaging. J Food Eng 2015; 159: 36-41. PMID 25848138.
- Harmon BE, Boushey CJ, Shvetsov YB, Ettienne R, Wilkens LR, Le Marchand L, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN. Associations of Key Diet Quality Indexes with Mortality in the Multiethnic Cohort: The Dietary Patterns Methods Project. Am J Clin Nutr 2015; 101(3):587-97. PMID: 25733644.
- Fialkowski MK, Ettienne R, Shvetsov YB, Rivera RL, Van Loan MD, Savaiano DA, Boushey CJ. Ethnicity and acculturation: do they predict weight status in a longitudinal study among Asian, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic White early adolescents? Adolesc Health Med Ther 2015; 6:1-7. PMID: 25624775.
- NIEH/NIH 2005-2016. Domoic acid neurotoxicity in Native Americans.
- NIH/NCI 2013. Dietary patterns methods project.
Current Graduate Students (Chair)
- Aflague, T. (PhD nutrition). Addressing childhood obesity through surveillance, novel assessments, and enhancement of summer enrichment programs in Guam.
Adrian Franke  PhD
Director, Analytical Biochemistry Shared Resource and Professor, Natural Products and Experimental Therapeutics ProgramUniversity of Hawai‘i Cancer Center- University of Hawaii at Manoa
Work Phone: 808.586.3008work Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Development of biomarkers reflecting exposure to vegetarian foods, pharmacokinetics of chemopreventive micronutrients, development of state-of-the-art analytical techniques to determine metabolites in biological matrices.
- Franke AA, Custer LJ, Morrison CM, Li X, Lai JF. (2013).Simultaneous analysis of circulating 25-hydroxy-vitamin D3, 25-hydroxy-vitamin D2, retinol, tocopherols, carotenoids, and oxidized and reduced coenzyme Q10 by HPLC with photo diode-array detection using C18 and C30 columns alone or in combination.J Chromatogr, 1301, 1-9 A.
- Franke AA, Lai JF, Morrison CM, Pagano I, Li X, Halm BM, Soon Rand Custer LJ. (2013).Coenzyme Q10, carotenoid, tocopherol, and retinol levels in cord plasma from multiethnic subjects in Hawaii. Free Radic Res, 47(9), 757-768.
- U54 NCI. Identification of biomarkers in saliva for betel nut consumption. 07/01/13 – 06/30/14
- PO1 NIH/NCI. Project 1:nutritional, biochemical, and hormonal predictors. Obesity, body fat distribution and cancer risk in the multiethnic cohort. 04/01/012-03/31/17
- R01 NIH/NCI. Urinary Isoflavonoids and Stroke Risk in Chinese Women. 02/01/11-01-31/14
Loic Le Marchand  MD, PhD
Cancer Epidemiology ProgramUniversity of Hawai‘i Cancer Center – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
The interactions between genetic and lifestyle factors responsible for the cancer risk differences that exist among ethnic/racial groups in Hawaii and California, with the goal of advancing our understanding of the causes, mechanisms and prevention of cancer.
- Wang H…Le Marchand L. (2014). Trans-ethnic genome-wide association study of colorectal cancer identifies a new susceptibility locus in VTI1A. Nat Commun. 2014 Aug 8;5:4613. doi: 10.1038/ncomms5613. This is a modified citation.
- Park SL…Le Marchand L. (2014). Pleiotropic Associations of Risk Variants Identified for Other Cancers With Lung Cancer Risk: The PAGE and TRICL Consortia. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Apr 1;106(4):dju061. doi: 10.1093/jnci/dju061. Epub 2014 Mar 28. This is a modified citation.
- Cheng I…Le Marchand* L. (2013). Pleiotropic effects of genetic risk variants for other cancers on colorectal cancer risk: PAGE, GECCO and CCFR consortia. Gut. 2013 Aug 9. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2013-305189. [Epub ahead of print] *Co-senior author. This is a modified citation.
- L. Le Marchand, C. Henderson, L. Wilkens, MPIs, UM1 CA164973, National Cancer Institute, "Understanding Ethnic Differences in Cancer: The Multiethnic Cohort Study" 2012–2017.
- L. Le Marchand, PI. P01 CA169530, National Cancer Institute, "Obesity, Body Fat Distribution and Cancer Risk in the Multiethnic Cohort" 2012–2017.
- L. Le Marchand, PI of subcontract, (Haile/Lindor/Jenkins, MPIs), U01 CA167551, National Cancer Institute, "The Colon Cancer Family Registry Cohort" 2012–2016.
- C. Haiman/L. Le Marchand, MPIs, National Human Genome Research Institute, "Epidemiology of Putative Causal Variants in the Multiethnic Cohort" 2013-2017.
Gertraud Maskarinec  MD PhD
Professor, Cancer Epidemiology Program and Program Director, Post-Doctoral Training ProgramUniversity of Hawai‘i Cancer Center – University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Home Phone: 808.586.3078home
Preventive medicine and nutritional epidemiology, etiology of breast cancer, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL), and type 2 diabetes.
- Maskarinec G, Harmon BE, Melissa AL, Ollberding, NJ, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Le Marchand L, Wilkens LR. (2015). Excess Body Weight and Colorectal Cancer Survival: The Multiethnic Cohort. Cancer Causes and Control 26: 1709-18. Sep 10. [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: 4628582.
- Leo QJN, Ollberding NJ, Wilkens LR, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Le Marchand L, Maskarinec G (2015). Nutritional Factors and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Survival in an Ethnically Diverse Population: The Multiethnic Cohort Study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, September 2, 2015; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2015.139. PMCID: 4562319.
- Morimoto Y, Maskarinec G, Park SY, Ettienne R, Matsuno RK, Long C, Steffen AD, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN, Le Marchand L, Wilkens LR. (2014). Dietary isoflavone intake is not associated with breast cancer risk in the Multiethnic Cohort. British Journal of Nutrition 112:976-83; 23 July. [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: 4237401.
- G. Maskarinec, Program Director; J. Hedges, (PI: J. Hedges), P30 CA071789-14S1, University of Hawaii Cancer Center CCSG CURE Supplement. 07/2013 - 06/2017.
- G. Maskarinec, Co-Investigator, (PIs: L. Le Marchand/U. Lim), P01 CA168530, "Obesity, Body Fat Distribution, and Cancer Risk in the Multiethnic Cohort" 09/01/12 - 08/31/17.
- G. Maskarinec, Multiple PI of Education Core, U54 CA143727, "University of Guam/University of Hawaii Cancer Center Partnership Education Core" 09/01/15 – 08/31/20.
Lynne Wilkens  DrPH, MS
Co-Director, Biostat and Informatics Shared ResourceUniversity of Hawai‘i Cancer Center- University of Hawaii at Manoa
Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Methodological research that extends statistical techniques of relevance to our research, techniques for studying disease associations when the independent variables are measured with error and ethical/racial classification.
- Wang H, Schmit SL, Haiman CA, Keku TO, Kato I, Palmer JR, van den Berg D, Wilkens LR, Burnett T, Conti DV, Schumacher FR, Signorello LB, Blot WJ, Zanetti KA, Harris C, Pande M, Berndt SI, Newcomb PA, West DW, Haile R, Stram DO, Figueiredo JC, Le Marchand L. Hispanic Colorectal Cancer Study. Novel colon cancer susceptibility variants identified from a genome-wide association study in African Americans. Int J Cancer. 2017 Mar 13. doi: 10.1002/ijc.30687. [Epub ahead of print]
- Harmon BE, Wirth MD, Boushey CJ, Wilkens LR, Draluck E, Shivappa N, Steck SE, Hofseth L, Haiman CA, Le Marchand L, Hébert JR. The Dietary Inflammatory Index Is Associated with Colorectal Cancer Risk in the Multiethnic Cohort. J Nutr. 2017 Mar;147(3):430-438. doi: 10.3945/jn.116.242529.
- Conroy SM, Clarke C, Yang J, Shariff-Marco S, Shvetsov YB, Park SY, Albright CL, Hertz A, Monroe KR, Kolonel LN, Le Marchand L, Wilkens LR, Gomez SL, Cheng I. Contextual impact of neighborhood obesogenic factors on postmenopausal breast cancer: The Multiethnic Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2017 Jan 31. pii: cebp.0941.2016. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-16-0941. [Epub ahead of print]