University of Hawaii Farm to School Curriculum
University of Hawaii Nutrition and Garden Lessons
- Intro to Crop Planning for School Gardens: A lesson and guide to developing crop plans which can be used to inform when your garden needs to get prepared, seeded or transplanted to meet the needs of your harvest goal.
- Mushrooms for Education: Lessons and webinar on growing ready-to-fruit oyster mushroom bags with students including kilo (observation), parts of a mushroom, composting, mycelium and symmetry.
- Home Garden Network- Homeschool Edition: 10 lessons and accompanying videos covering the topics of starting seeds, germination, soil, preparing a space, flowering plants, pests, pesticides, food sovereignty, and cooking.
- Rat Lungworm Lesson Plans: Integrated pest management (IPM) plan for control of slugs and snails in school gardens and accompanying STEM curriculum aligned with NGSS, Common Core Math, and Hawaii DOE standards. The lessons are intended for use for grades 5-8 but can be adapted for grades 9-12.
- Rat Lungworm Disease Activity Book
- Grow Your Own: 7 lessons on planting, fertilizing, watering, harvesting, pests and food safety
- Produce a Plate: 2 lessons on smart choices from every food group according to the USDA MyPlate guidelines
- NEW Life Curriculum: Nutrition lessons that include topics like “rethink your drink,” meal planning and preparing and storing fruits and vegetables.
2012 Master Gardeners School Garden Basics Workshop for Educators
- The Natural Environment of Hawai’i A PowerPoint presentation with student lesson on wind, wings and waves covering land and culture shaped by water and native plants of Hawai’i.
- Let’s Plant! A PowerPoint presentation on in ground, raised bed and container gardening in Hawaii, including planting, weeding, mulching, watering and harvesting to provide confidence in gardening.
- The Life of Plants A PowerPoint presentation on plant life cycle, types of garden plants and plant structure and function with a lesson at the end about plant life cycles.
- Soils and Composting Module A PowerPoint presentation about soils and composting in Hawaii with a lesson for students to practice composting included from Kokua Hawaii Foundation.
- Insects, Diseases and IPM A PowerPoint presentation on how to identify types of insects and diseases of insects and diseases and resources for controlling pest and disease problems.
Hawaii Farm to School Curriculum
- Kōkua Hawai`i Foundation`ĀINA in Schools, culturally-relevant K-6 curriculum on composting, nutrition, and gardens.
- Kohala Center School Garden Curriculum Map: Extensive listing of various curriculum resources.
- Farm to Keiki: Garden and nutrition curriculum for preschool/ECE.
- Bishop Museum Online Learning Center: digital educational resources in STEM, art, literacy, & culture for K-12, higher ed & informal ed.
National Farm to School Curriculum
- National Farm-to-School Network: a large online database of resources for farm-to-school efforts for all ages.
- Junior Master Gardener: Learn, Grow, Eat & Go
- Project Learning Tree: Offers GreenSchools Certification, and a variety of curriculum covering environment, energy, waste, and more.
- Life Lab: A great mainland-based resource for a variety of curriculum, ECE to Grade 5.