- 1 lb. bag Lu’au leaf and stem, washed and stems peeled and chopped 1” length (about 10 cups leaf, 2 cups stem)
- 1 cup White onion, julienne
- ¾ cup Coconut milk
- ½ cup Water
- 1.5 tsp Hawaiian salt
- 2 cups (1 lb.) Pork shoulder, cut into 1” – 2” cubes
- Optional: 2 tsp liquid smoke
- Separate the lu’au leaves from the stems and then clean and rinse leaves under water and peel the stems (the thin skin on the exterior of the stems can sometimes be overly fibrous). Wear gloves when preparing the leaves to prevent itchy skin.
- Chop the stems into 2” pieces and set aside.
- Dry the leaves and then place on a cutting board and slice into long thin strips.
- Cut the pork into 1” – 2” cubes and then set aside.
- Set the instapot to manual high pressure mode.
- Place half of all the pork, stems, onion,and leaves in the pot. Then layer the remaining ingredients, followed by the salt, coconut milk, and water.
- Close the lid and seal the pressure valve and then set time to 40 minutes and cook.
Once the timer goes off, quick release the pressure. Once all the pressure is released, stir around the lu’au to combine all the ingredients.