Summary of 2012-2017 Strategic PlanDepartment of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Focus Area 1: Clinical
Issue: Long wait list for clinical services.
Baseline Data: At the end of 2011, approximately 140 individuals were on the wait list, expecting to receive free services.
Desired Outcome: Increase the number of patients served in the clinic by 20%.
- Increase outreach activities to market our new services to potential clients.
- Document patient flow and clinical revenue.
Focus Area 2: Administration
Issue: Current faculty and staff members are not familiar with process of billing for services.
Baseline Data: No history or experience with billing for services.
Desired Outcome: All faculty and staff members to be familiar with process of billing for services.
- Create a handbook of procedures for billing for services.
- Document submitted billable notes regularly.
Focus Area 3: Research
Issue: Limited research funding.
Baseline Data: Currently only two faculty members in the department have research funding.
Desired Outcome: Increase the number of faculty with research funding.
- Continue to participate in TBI research activity with Tripler Army Medical Center, ROTC, and/or VA Medical Center.
- Begin an aging-related hearing loss study with the Geriatrics department.
- Begin a Native Hawaiian Health related research project.
- Recruit additional PhD level faculty who are interested in collaborative research.
- Continue to discuss and document research progress weekly.
Focus Area 4: Education
Issue: Shortage of externship sites
Baseline Data: Not all students placed in a variety of externship settings.
Desired Outcome: Increase the number of externship sites on the island, in the neighboring islands, and in the mainland.
- Seek input from Hawai’i Speech-Language-Hearing Association (HSHA) members to improve the quality of student education.
- Seek input from DOE SLPs to improve the quality of student education.
- Utilize a DOE liaison to work with DOE SLPs to facilitate good relationships and add additional DOE externship sites.
- Utilize a medical externship site liaison to work with SLPs in medical facilities to facilitate good relationships and add additional medical externship sites.
- Coordinate anatomy lab sessions to increase student learning oppourtities.
- Secure new neighbor island externship sites
- Secure new out of state externship sites
- Continue to discuss and document progress and issues related to externship weekly.
Focus Area 5: Service
Issue: Insufficient community service
Baseline Data: Insufficient volunteer service (teaching, clinical, or research mentorship) outside of UHM.
Desired Outcome: Increase the number of collaborative sites locally, nationally, and internationally, especially in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Collaborate with new individuals for volunteer teaching, clinical service, and research opportunities.
- Conduct voice and/or hearing screenings for Special Olympics, Head-Start program, UH students in theater, music, or nursing departments.
- Organize a “World Voice Day” symposium.
- Explore telehealth service options
- Explore providing volunteer clinical services in Asia Pacific regions that are lacking ASHA-certified professionals.
- Continue to discuss and document progress and issues related to service weekly.