Our Roots

CRDG and ULS

CRDG-ULS History and Foundations (2011)

2010

University of Hawaiʻi Curriculum Research & Development Group (CRDG) established a partnership agreement with the Local School Board of the University Laboratory School, also known as the Education Laboratory. The school serves as an experimental site for researching and developing innovations in teaching, learning, and assessment in grades K-12.

2001

ULS became a charter school and is renamed the Education Laboratory: A Hawaiʻi New Century Public Charter School. CRDG administered the school as a laboratory for curriculum R & D.

2000

CRDG merged with the College of Education. ULS applied for charter school status.

1996

CRDG, along with other research units, reorganizes under the UH Office of the Senior Vice President for Research.

1969

The Hawaii Curriculum Center is phased out and ULS comes under a new College of Education unit known as the Curriculum Research & Development Group (CRDG).

1966

ULS becomes part of a new entity, the Hawaii Curriculum Center. This is a joint operation of the Hawaiʻi Department of Education and the University of Hawaiʻi to develop curriculum programs and materials for schools.

1959

Teachers College becomes the College of Education, and Hawaiʻi becomes the fiftieth state.

1948

University High School Building 2 is constructed adjacent to Building 1. The University Laboratory School (ULS) now offers a complete K-12 curriculum. Hubert Everly (later dean of the College of Education) becomes the principal.

1943

University High School Building 1 on the Metcalf Street side of Teachers College is completed.

1941-45

Punahou School, displaced by the military occupying its campus, moves into Castle Memorial Hall and other buildings, but Teachers College continues to operate.

1939-41

An elementary school (University Elementary School) is built on Metcalf Street as part of Teachers College. Construction begins on Castle Memorial Hall, a training center for kindergarten and nursery school teachers. 1895 A teacher training department is formed at Honolulu High School, located in Princess Ruth’s former mansion (now Central Intermediate School).

1931

The legislature transfers the Territorial Normal and Training School to the School of Education. The School of Education is renamed Teachers College.

1930

The school moves to a new 15-acre site (once a pig farm) adjoining the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. The University’s Department of Secondary Education becomes the School of Education.

1921

Benjamin Wist becomes the principal of the school.

1905

After annexation, Hawaiʻi becomes a U.S. territory. Honolulu Normal and Training School is renamed Territorial Normal and Training School, and moves to Lunalilo and Quarry streets.

1896

The teacher training department moves to Victoria and Young Streets and is renamed Honolulu Normal and Training School.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can
take care of it!

MaPS Portfolio

botany partner-schools 428258_207916592681854_1981900667_n hookulaiwi_0 llea math

Affiliation

University of Hawaii at Manoa
College of Education