Travel Funding for Faculty

Intramural Funding

URC Travel Fund

State funding through the University Research Council (URC) is available to support professional travel that enables full-time faculty/staff members to present results of research or other creative activities at regional, national, or international professional meetings when it can be demonstrated that participation has the potential for additional research or training. Funding is up to a maximum of $1,400 to cover the minimum round-trip airfare and conference fee plus up to $750 for ground transportation and per diem. The maximum award is $2,000. These awards are competitive. The review cycle is every two weeks. Not more than one award is made each fiscal year (July June) per faculty member. Applications must be received by the URC two to three months before the anticipated travel. Revised application forms and guidelines are available from June Imamura, Spalding Hall 357; tel 956-4053.
For more information, please visit:


The University of Hawai’i has an agreement with Peking University – one of China’s oldest and most prestigious institutions of higher learning – to send UH faculty members or PhD students there to teach, study, or conduct research. In return, UH hosts Peking University faculty members here in Hawai’i.

The Center for Chinese Studies is currently accepting applications from UH faculty and Ph.D. students interested in spending a certain period at Peking University. Please note that while all UH faculty are eligible to apply, preference will be given to faculty and Ph.D. students whose research focuses on China. Housing and a stipend to cover meals in Beijing are provided by Peking University. International airfare, however, is not covered by the program.

For further information, contact:
Center for Chinese Studies, Moore Hall 417
Telephone: 956-8891;
or e-mail:


In 1999, local residents Chung-fong and Grace Ning made a generous contribution to the Center for a perpetual endowment. Interest generated by this endowment supports China-focused academic projects at the University of Hawai’i, including such purposes as

  • conference or research travel;
  • purchase of books, materials, or supplies;
  • hiring student assistance.

Eligibility for the awards is limited to UH Chinese Studies faculty and graduate students, with preference generally being given to faculty – in particular junior faculty.

The maximum amount of any award is $1,500 (most awards will be less than the maximum).

Applications are available for download.

Applications will be accepted and evaluated every year. Submission deadline is January 25, 2019, for activities to be carried out between March 1 and December 15, 2019.

For further information, please contact Center for Chinese Studies, Moore Hall 417, University of Hawai’i at Manoa, 956-2691, or e-mail

A faculty committee chosen by the CCS Executive Committee will review applications, which should include a short essay outlining how the funds will be used, results expected from the project, and a budget. A brief written report to the CCS should follow completion of the project.

Extramural Funding

NEH Travel Grants

The National Endowment for the Humanities offers grants of up to $750 to assist individuals in traveling to use the research collections of libraries, archives, museums or other repositories. These awards help defray such research expenses as transportation, subsistence, lodging and photocopying. The application deadline is January 15 for travel after June 1. Contact NEH, Division of Fellowships & Seminars, Room 318, 1100 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20506; tel: (202) 606-8466.

Office of Research Services

The Office of Research Services (ORS) publishes a listing of extramural funding opportunities for faculty and staff through the Ku Lama and has on file information about individual funding agencies. ORS is located in Sakamaki Hall D-200; tel: 956-7800.

ORS subscribes to the Illinois Researcher Information Service (IRIS) on the World Wide Web. Faculty and staff can search over 7,000 federal and private funding opportunities via the WWW or Telnet as long as 1) they use the UH domain (, and 2) the IP address begins with 128.171. IRIS is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has a built-in Professional Interest Profile System which may be accessed.

To access the WWW IRIS, go to; to access Telnet IRIS, telnet, then enter IP number, login: iris.