Graduate Student Funding

Graduate Student Funding: Intramural Sources

Graduate Assistantships

The University awards a number of graduate assistantships to graduates of accredited institutions of higher learning who have satisfactory scholastic records, an adequate undergraduate background in the major field, and evidence of a high level of English proficiency. All applicants for graduate assistantships must be admitted as potential degree candidates to qualify for appointments. Applicants for assistantships are therefore advised to apply for admission to the Graduate Division prior to or at the same time that consideration for the assistantship is requested. Graduate assistants serve as nine-month teaching assistants, or as eleven-month research assistants, usually in connection with research contracts or grants supervised by faculty members. Graduate assistants normally are required to carry a minimum of six and a maximum of nine credit hours per semester. The remuneration for teaching assistants ranges from $12,294 to $19,680 (1997-98 academic year), depending on qualifications and length of service. Tuition is waived, but graduate assistants are not exempt from student activities and other special fees. Graduate assistants registering for 12 or more semester hours (including audit) must pay the general fee. Application forms can be obtained from the chairman of the appropriate department or research unit. Applications for assistantship appointments must be submitted to the department/research unit of interest. Please contact the department/research unit for further information and deadlines.

Student Employment and Loans

Financial Aid Services at the Student Services Center, Room 112, 2600 Campus Road, administers scholarships and grants, low-interest student loans and federal work study funds. Applications for the subsequent academic year are available after January 1, with the priority deadline of March 1. Contact the office at 956-7251 for more information.

Student Employment and Cooperative Education Office

Information about jobs in the community and on campus is available to assist students who seek part-time employment to defray a part of their expenses. Students are strongly cautioned, however, about depending solely on part-time work to meet the expenses of Hawai’i’s high cost of living. Students must register with the Student Employment Office indicating their skills and the type of work they desire. The address is 2600 Campus Road, Room 113, University of Hawai‘i, Honolulu, HI 96822; tel: 956-7007 or fax 956-8058.

GSO Travel Fund

The Graduate Student Organization (GSO) has a travel fund available to provide assistance to graduate students who are presenting original papers or research at conferences and professional meetings on the mainland and elsewhere. There are three award periods: January 15 to June 14, deadline January 2; June 15 to September 14, deadline June 1; and September 15 to January 14, deadline September 1. Applicants must be classified graduate students. For further information and application forms contact the GSO in Hemenway 212; tel: 956-8776 or 956-8018.

Hung Family Fellowships and Scholarships

Hung Fellowships provide support for graduate students from China and Taiwan studying either Chinese intellectual history in the Department of History or Chinese economic policy in the Department of Economics at the University of Hawai‘i. Fellowships carry a minimum stipend of $10,000 per year, along with a tuition waiver, and can be renewed for up to a total of two years for an MA or four years for a PhD. Successful recipients must meet entrance requirements for graduate study at the University of Hawai‘i in Economics or History, possess a sustained superior scholastic record, and submit an essay of no more than five hundred words in English describing their reasons for studying intellectual history or economic policy. Essays with an accompanying cover letter should be submitted to the Graduate Chair of the relevant department: Department of History, 2530 Dole Street, Sakamaki A203, Honolulu, HI 96822; Department of Economics, 2424 Maile Way, Social Science Bldg. 542, Honolulu, HI 96822. For further information, contact 956-8486 (Department of History) or 956-8496 (Department of Economics).

Hung Scholarships also provide support to graduate degree candidates or those who have just completed a graduate degree at the University of Hawai‘i who wish to study for a time at the National Taiwan University in Taipei, Taiwan. Scholarships of no less than $1,500 are awarded, depending on availability of funds. Scholarships may be renewed for up to a total of two years, based on review and approval by the selection committee. Contact Paulette Stone at the University of Hawai’i Foundation (956-6180) for updated information.

Eu Tong Memorial Fellowship

The Eu Tong Sen Memorial Exchange Program between the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and the University of Hawai’i at Manoa (UHM) is designed to strengthen academic relations between the two universities and to foster the continuing exchange of graduate students in all areas related to Chinese Studies. UHM graduates and professional students are invited to apply to attend one semester in the next academic year, studying and/or conducting research in China-related fields at CUHK. CUHK offers a broad range of China-related courses in English, Mandarin, or Cantonese, and has a full curriculum in Chinese language instruction. For applications and/or further information, contact the Fellowship Coordinator at phone 956-2210; e-mail:

Eu Tong Sen Memorial Exchange Scholarship

Scholarship program allows two U.H. students to spend a semester at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2006-2007. Application is submitted online at

Huang Foundation Endowment

An endowment worth $550,000 in 1997 was funded by a portion of the estate of Chun Ku and Soo Yong Huang, husband and wife, residents of Hawaii. Interest on the endowment will support graduate scholarships and institutional grants in areas relating to Chinese Studies. Application forms are available from the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs in January. Selections of recipients will be completed in April. For further information, contact Ms. Helena Sena, University of Hawaii Foundation, phone 956-6748, fax 956-3717, e-mail

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships

There are five (5) versions of the FLAS application form at UHM: China, Japan, Korea, Pacific Islands, and Southeast Asia. Please be sure to obtain the one you need. For more information, please write to: Fellowship Coordinator School of Hawaiian, Asian and Pacific Studies University of Hawaii at Manoa 1890 East-West Road, Moore 321 Honolulu, HI 96822 or or e-mail, or call 956-2210.

Recipients must abide by the intent of their language study program as stated on the application. If there are any changes whatsoever, they must inform the fellowship office in Moore 321 immediately. They may not be eligible for continued funding if they change plans without approval. A fellowship will be terminated if the student is not making satisfactory progress, is no longer enrolled, is no longer in good standing at the institution, or if the he or she fails to follow the course of study promised, unless a revised course of study has been approved.

For East Asia (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean), the application is done online at

Application Deadline:  February 2018

Chung-fong & Grace Ning Fund

The funds from the endowment are intended to benefit both the CCS students and faculty. Support is provided for China-focused academic projects at the University of Hawai’i, including but not limited to the following purposes: conference or research travel; purchase of books, materials, or supplies; hiring student assistance. Eligibility for the awards is limited to UH Chinese Studies faculty and graduate students, with preference generally being given to faculty – in particular junior faculty. The maximum amount for any award is $1,500. Applications for 2019 are available for download.

Applications will be accepted and evaluated every year. Submission deadline is January 25, 2019, for activities to be carried out between March 1 and December 15, 2019.

For further information, please contact Center for Chinese Studies, Moore Hall 417, University of Hawai’i at Manoa, 956-2691, or e-mail

Graduate Student Funding: Extramural Sources

East-West Center Graduate Fellowships

The East-West Center is a non-degree granting educational institution located on the UH Manoa campus. Established in 1960 by the United States Congress, the Center serves as a catalyst and link among the peoples of some 60 countries and territories in an area encompassing Pakistan eastward through Asia to Japan, and from Australia across the Pacific to the United States. Each year some 2,000 research fellows, graduate students and professionals in business and government from Asia, the Pacific, and the United States work with the Center’s staff on issues of mutual concern. EWC Graduate Fellowships are available to individuals interested in participating in the educational and research programs at the EWC while pursuing a master’s or doctorate degree at the University of Hawai’i; preference is given to those in a master’s degree program. Fellowships are granted on an annual basis but may be renewed depending in part on timely and satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree and East-West Center requirements. Applicants must be citizens or legal permanent residents of an Asian or Pacific country, or the United States. Award recipients who are not US citizens or permanent residents must meet all exchange visitor (J-1) visa regulations. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 is required for nonnative speakers of English. For most non-US applicants, application must be made to the Center’s in-country program representative. Application deadlines for the in-country competitions vary and are usually earlier than the deadline for US citizens/permanent residents, therefore the program representative should be contacted as soon as possible. Postmark application deadline for US citizens or permanent residents is October 15. Further information may be obtained by writing to the East-West Center, Office of Award Services, Room 2066, 1601 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848-1601; tel: 944-7735.

Fulbright Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program

Graduate students who are US citizens and who have not yet received a PhD are eligible to apply for a Fulbright Hays grant for study, research, and professional training abroad. Grants provide round trip international transportation, health and accident insurance, and tuition and maintenance for one academic year. For more detailed information, contact Patti Borsch, Fellowships and Scholarships Office, Spalding 354-D; tel: 956-8133.

Institute of International Education Program

The Institute of International Education (IIE) program was established to ensure that there would be leaders in business, in the universities, in the world of arts and letters, as well as in government, who understand and cherish the cultures and customs of foreign countries. Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of their home countries, must have completed at least half of their education in their home countries, and must have a BA or equivalent before the fellowship begins. Contact the Institute of International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017; tel: (212) 883-8200.

Henry Luce Foundation United States-China Cooperative Research Program

The aim of this program is to encourage joint research by American and Chinese scholars on significant topics in the humanities and social sciences that will enhance understanding of China. Cooperative projects involve at least two or more collaborators on both the Chinese and American sides, working together over a three-year period. Graduate students can be involved, but funds cannot be used for tuition payments. Scholars based at different institutions in China or the United States are encouraged to work together. Proposals are evaluated on their academic merit; potential for mutual benefit; feasibility; and evidence of institutional support. After developing a project with Chinese counterparts, the proposal should be submitted by the American side. Any U.S. university or college is eligible to apply. Grants for each three-year project will range from $30,000 to $90,000. March 1 is the deadline for grant proposals, and awards will be announced in June. Requests for guidelines should be addressed to: U.S.-China Cooperative Research Program, The Henry Luce Foundation, 111 West 50th Street, #4601, New York, NY 10020; Tel. 212/489-7700; Fax 212/581-9541; E-mail

MacArthur Foundation Dissertation Fellowship

Scholars of any nationality in a recognized field of the physical and behavioral sciences or the social/behavioral sciences, including history and foreign area studies, may apply for the MacArthur Foundation Dissertation Fellowship. Applicants must have completed all the requirements for the PhD except the dissertation by the time the fellowship commences. The award provides $15,000 a year, with possible additional funds available for the payment of fees at institutions hosting a fellow’s training and research. Application deadlines are March 31 and July 31. Write to the Social Science Research Council, Fellowship Program in International Peace and Security Studies, 605 Third Ave., New York, NY 10158. Students with specialized study in international peace and security issues are not eligible.

National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowships and Summer Stipends

NEH Fellowships and Summer Stipends provide opportunities for individuals to pursue advanced work that will enhance their capacities as interpreters of the humanities and enable them to make significant contributions to thought and knowledge in the humanities. Applicants may be faculty or staff members of colleges or universities, or of primary or secondary schools. Scholars and writers in various other positions may also apply. For more information contact NEH at 1100 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC 20506. Tel: 202-606-8400 or 1-800-634-1121; e-mail:; website:

AUW Pacific Fellowships

Women working on graduate degrees with a focus on Asia, Pacific Rim countries (excluding the United States) and islands located in the Pacific who are Hawaii state residents, attending a university located in Hawaii, and have financial need and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.2 may apply for an Association of University Women Pacific Fellowship of up to $5,000. Deadline for applications are March 1. Contact the Pacific Fellowship Committee, American Association of University Women, 1802 Keeaumoku St., Honolulu, HI 96822; tel: (808) 537-4702.

Robert K. Sakai Award

Advanced graduate students in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean history who require travel aid to attend a professional meeting to interview for a job, or to deliver a scholarly paper, may apply for a Robert K. Sakai Award for any amount up to $700. Deadlines are October 15 for the fall semester and February 1 for the spring semester. Contact the University of Hawai’i, Department of History, 2530 Dole Street, Sakamaki A203, Honolulu, HI 96822; tel: 956-8486 or 956-8358.

Graduate Division Fellowships Scholarships Office

The Graduate Student Fellowships & Scholarships Office has general information available and on national fellowship competitions open to all graduate students, e.g., National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships, the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Programas well as on scholarships available only to University of Hawai’i students. Some of the information resources to be found here are “Peterson’s Grants for Graduate Study” and “Financial Aid Resources for Postsecondary Education.” The location of this office is 2540 Maile Way, Spalding Hall 354-D; tel: 956-8113.

Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program for Postgraduate Research

Under the auspices of The World Bank, the Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program awards annually approximately ten fellowships to support innovative and imaginative postgraduate research in areas of political and economic development. However, it does not support work toward an advanced degree (this includes field work for the PhD). Fellowships are awarded for a period of 12 months; application deadline is in November. Fellowships total $7,500. Candidates must be nationals of World Bank member countries and must normally be no more than 35 years of age. Applicants must also hold an MA or equivalent at the time of application; candidates for a PhD at the time of application must have completed the degree by the program’s initiation date in order to receive a fellowship. For more information, contact The Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program, 1818 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20433; tel (202) 473-6441.

National Humanities Center Postdoctoral Fellowship

Eligibility: senior scholars of recognized accomplishments; promising young scholars who wish to pursue advanced study at the National Humanities Center. Applicants may be from any field of the humanities or the natural and social sciences, or the professions if their work has humanistic dimensions. Young scholars should be within ten years of receiving the PhD or its equivalent, and they may not hold the award for dissertation revision. Fellowships are normally for the academic year; a few may be for a single semester. Fellowship stipends are individually determined in accordance with the needs of each fellow and the Center’s ability to meet them. As the Center cannot normally replace full salaries, applicants are urged to seek partial funding in the form of sabbatical salaries or grants from other courses. Application deadline is in mid-October. Contact Fellowship Program, National Humanities Center, P.O. Box 12256, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2256.

National Program for Advanced Study in China

Formerly administered by the Committee on Scholarly Communication with China, this program is presently run by the American Council of Learned Societies.National Program for Advanced Study in China:

The “Graduate Program,” funded by the United States Information Agency, supports individuals enrolled in doctoral programs in social sciences or humanities to carry out eleven months of advanced study or dissertation research on China at a Chinese university or research institute. It requires Chinese language proficiency. Postmark deadline for completed application forms: October 15. For more information, or to obtain application materials for the above programs contact: Office of Fellowships and Grants, ACLS, 228 East 45th Street, New York, NY 10017-3398; fax: 212-949-8058 (attn. Fellowship Office); e-mail:

UC-Berkeley Center for Chinese Studies Postdoctoral Fellowships

The Center for Chinese Studies at the University of California at Berkeley makes one postdoctoral award per year (during the academic year 1996-97 the stipend was $25,000). Holders of this grant are expected 1) to be in residence for the academic year; 2) to complete a research project or revise a doctoral dissertation in the field of Chinese Studies which will result in a publishable manuscript; and 3) to participate in the colloquia and seminar programs of the Center. The Postdoctoral Fellowship may be combined with other sources of support. It provides the award recipient with shared office space, access to University library facilities and limited mailing and photocopy privileges. Recipients must have completed the degree when they commence the fellowship. Normally, all applicants must be within five years of completing the PhD. Deadline for application is early January; awards are announced in late March. Further information and application forms can be obtained by contacting Wen-hsin Yeh, Chair, Center for Chinese Studies, 2223 Fulton Street, Room 505, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720.

Fujitsu Asia-Pacific Scholarship

Hawai’i residents with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and with at least three years of work experience are eligible to apply for a $35,000 scholarship to study Asian business. Offered by the Fujitsu Asia Pacific Scholarship Program, the scholarship covers tuition for the Japan-focused MBA (JEMBA) or the China-focused MBA (CHEMBA) and expenses for a three month internship in Japan or China. JEMBA and CHEMBA are cooperative programs of the Japan-America Institute of Management Science (JAIMS) and the University of Hawai’i at Manoa College of Business Administration. The 15-month master of business administration programs include one year of intensive course work in Honolulu and a three-month internship at a corporation or organization in Japan or China. Graduates receive an MBA degree from UH and a Japan-focused or China-focused Management Certificate from JAIMS. Completed applications and GMAT test scores must be received by November 30.Knowledge of Japanese or Mandarin language is helpful but not required. For a scholarship application or more information, call JAIMS at 395-2314 or e-mail:

Center for Asian Art Postdoctoral Awards

The Center for Asian Art, a museum of the Smithsonian Institution, is seeking proposals for postdoctoral research. Stipends are $18,000 or $25,000. The deadline is February 15th. Write to Jacki Thompson Rand, Academic Program Specialist, The Smithsonian Institution, Office of Fellowships and Grants, Rockefeller Foundation Residency Program, L’Enfant Plaza, Suite 7300, Washington, DC 20560.

UCLA Institute of Asian American Studies

The Institute of Asian American Studies at UCLA offers fellowships for post-doctoral or faculty research in Asian American studies. For information contact Asian American Studies Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1546; tel: (310) 825-2974.

ACLS/CCK Foundation Dissertation and PostdocsFellowships

The American Council of Learned Societies and the Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange also offer grants for PhD dissertation and postdoctoral fellowships. For information and contact address, see entry under “Assistance for Faculty and Other Professionals.”

GSO Outside Agencies Awards Computer Database

The University of Hawai’i Graduate Student Organization, in Hemenway Hall 212, maintains a computer database system that provides information on awards offered by outside agencies. For further information, call 956-8776.