Professor, Asian Studies
Professor, Urban & Regional Planning
Moore 409: 956-9196
Department: 956-6083; Fax: 956-2682
Urban & Regional Planning
Saunders Hall 107E: 956-6867
Department: 956-7381; Fax: 956-6870
Dip Arch 1963, The Polytechnic, London
Dip Trop. Studies 1967, Architectural Association, London
MS Arch and MSUP 1969, Columbia University
PhD 1973, Columbia University
Professor Kwok has been a visiting professor at Tsinghua University, Tongji University, Zhongshan University and Wuhan Academy of Urban Construction. Before joining the University of Hawai’i, he was the founding Director of the Center of Urban Planning and Urban Studies (now the Centre of Urban Planning and Environmental Management) in the University of Hong Kong. He is a member of the editorial boards for the academic journals Built Environment (UK), and China Review International (US). Professionally, he has served as a consultant to professional firms, local governments and international organizations in Asia and the United States, including New York Chinatown Planning Council, Hong Kong Housing Authority, Hong Kong Town Planning Board, Shenzhen Planning Committee, Zhuhai Municipality, Taipei City Council, East-West Center and the World Bank. The areas of his teaching and research are the political economy of Chinese development and urbanization, globalization in East Asia, urban economic and spatial planning, and cultural impact on urban design. His current research is within the South China Triangle Region (Coastal China, Taiwan, Hong Kong). He is presently studying regional re-structuring in Taiwan, Taipei landmarks, and the desocialization process of the Chinese urban land market.
- Asan 484 Society and Politics in China
- Asan 497/ Fin 470 Sustainable Development in East Asia
- Asan 485 Contemporary China: Industrialization and Reform
- Asan/Plan 649 Asian Cities
- Asan 491C Urbanization in Contemporary China
- Asan 497/ FIN 470 Sustainable Development in East Asia
- Asan 608 Contemporary China: Development and Politics
- Asan/Plan 635 East Asian Development: Policy and Planning Issues
- Asan/Plan 638 Asian Development & Urbanization
- Asan/Plan 636 Culture and Urban Form in Asia
- Asan 688 China’s International Relations
- Asan 750C Seminar in Asian Studies: China
- The Second Great Transformation: Taiwanese Industrialization in the 1980s-2000s, Taipei: Chengchi University Press. 2011. (editor)
- “Taipei’s Metropolitan Development: Dynamics of Cross-Strait Political Economy, Globalization and National Identity”, (with Liling Huang), in Stephen Hamnett and Dean Forbes (editors), Planning Asian Cities: Risks and Resilience, London: Routledge. 2011.
- “Introduction: Globalization, Cross-Strait Political Economy and Post-Developmental State Intervention in Taiwan’s Industrial Regionalization”, and “Postscript: Recent Regional strategies and future Prospect”, in Reginald Yin-Wang Kwok (editor), The Second Great Transformation: Taiwanese Industrialization in the 1980s-2000s, Taipei: Chengchi University Press. April 2011.
- “Export Processing Zones”, in Encyclopedia of Geography, Sage Publications. September 2010.
- Globalizing Taipei: The Political Economy of Spatial Development, London: Routledge. 2005. (editor)
- “Asian Dragons, South China Growth Triangle, Developmental Governance and Globalizing Taipei” (with Jinn-Yuh Hsu), and “Current Dilemma
and Future Uncertainty” in Reginald Yin-Wang Kwok (editor), Globalizing
Taipei: The Political Economy of Spatial Development, London: Routledge.
- “A Paradigm for Asian Pacific Urban Form: Cultural Contention of Globalization and Vernacularization”, in Jin-Ho Park (editor), Creating Livable Communities in Asia Pacific: Value, Relevance and Connectivity, Honolulu: Proceeding of the Fifth International Symposium on Asian Pacific Architecture. 2003.