An interview can be the first glimpse into your amazing career, and that can be a little nerve-wracking, as first impressions mean everything and more to a potential employer. Here are some tips to make that important lasting impression at the interview:
- Adequate preparation begins far before the interview–Be sure to do your research! Find out about the company, review the job posting and the requirements of the position, and if you know who will be interviewing you, search them up on LinkedIn to get a sense of where they are within their career and the company.
- Prepare your answers for different types of interviews and questions so that you are not caught off guard the day of.
- Use this research to formulate questions that you’re curious about. You don’t want to be sitting in silence when the interviewer asks if you have any questions. A thoughtful question could go a long way in giving your interviewer something to remember you by.
- Dress appropriately for your interview. When in doubt, it could be better to overdress than under-dress, but it’s always best to know what the dress code is at the office. Maybe you know someone who already works at the company who can give you the inside scoop. Or, you could look for company photos online or on social media (LinkedIn and Instagram are great!) and see how current employees dress to give you an idea.
- Greet your interviewer warmly with a smile and handshake. Show your enthusiasm for the role this amazing opportunity to interview. Just be sure not to overdo it if it does not seem appropriate.
- Highlight a unique skill or experience within one of your answers to show your ability to set yourself apart.
- After the interview, follow up with an email or note! Thank your interviewer for their time and the opportunity, and share something noteworthy or memorable from the interview that you talked about to refresh their memory.
I hope these tips can take some of the pressure off and help you put your best foot forward as you plan your future careers! Here are some more resources to check out!