The current tuition schedule for UH Manoa can be found here.

Financial Aid

All students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid. Information about federal financial aid and many scholarships can be found at the UH System financial aid office and the UH Manoa financial aid office.

Scholarships and Fellowships

There are a number of scholarships and fellowships available across the university for which Asian Studies students can compete. Current and incoming graduate and undergraduate students can log onto the UH Student Scholarship website, and complete an application for many scholarships at once.

The Fellowships Coordinator for the School of Pacific and Asian Studies is Chizuko Allen. For the most up-to-date information about scholarships and fellowships related to Asian Studies, inquiries should be directed to her.

Fellowships Coordinator
School of Pacific and Asian Studies
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
1890 East-West Road, Moore 321
Honolulu, HI 96822
phone: (808) 956-2210
fax: (808) 956-6345

Some scholarships and fellowships specific to or particularly relevant to Asian Studies include:

Asian Studies Tuition Waivers
Foreign Student Tuition Reductions
K.S. Cheng Memorial Scholarship Fund
Pacific Asian Scholarships
James Shigeta Scholarship in Asian Studies
Starr Foundation Graduate Fellowship in Asian Studies
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Graduate Assistantships
East-West Center Fellowships
Graduate Student Organization Travel Fund
Scholarships and Fellowships from Area Centers

Asian Studies Tuition Waivers

A limited number of tuition waivers are available within the Asian Studies Program. These are available on a semester basis and are determined by academic performance. Applications are distributed to students admitted or currently enrolled in the Master’s program in Asian Studies.

Foreign Student Tuition Reductions

The University awards waivers of the nonresidential tuition differential annually to academically well-qualified students from specified Asian and Pacific countries pursuing courses of study which are identified as regionally significant. The countries include China, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore, and Taiwan. Applications for classified undergraduates may be obtained from the International Student Services office, Student Services Building, 2442 Campus Road; tel: 956-8613. Freshman are eligible only after completing 12 credits at UH with a GPA of 3.0 or above. Graduate students from the specified countries automatically receive the nonresident tuition differential waiver as long as their GPA is above 3.0. Unclassified or special students are not eligible for these awards.

K. S. Cheng Memorial Scholarship Fund

Established in memory of the late entrepreneur K.S Cheng, this scholarship fund makes available on an annual basis 10 awards of $1,000 each for eligible undergraduate and graduate students. Applicants must be majoring in an Arts & Sciences discipline and should have some degree of financial need. Preference is given to students of Chinese ancestry. Application deadline in mid-November. For application materials and/or further information, contact the Office of Community & Alumni Relations, Hawaii Hall 102D; tel 956-4051; fax 956-9085.

Pacific Asian Scholarships

These scholarships provide the waiver of one academic year’s tuition contingent on continuing eligibility. They are available to graduate or undergraduate students who specialize in any area related to Asia and the Pacific or who are from Asia or the Pacific. A 3.5 cumulative grade-point average or higher is necessary. Undergraduate students should contact Chizuko Allen, Fellowships Coordinator, School of Hawaiian, Asian and Pacific Studies, Moore Hall 321, 956-2210. Graduate students should inquire in their department.

James Shigeta Scholarship in Asian Studies

The purpose of this fund is to assist undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in the Asian Studies concentration at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, School of Pacific and Asian Studies. Additional requirements:  Demonstrate exceptional promise and achievement. Scholarship is open to international students.

Starr Foundation Graduate Fellowship in Asian Studies

This fellowship is available to full-time Asian Studies M.A. students only. It is available to U.S. and international students. Recipients of FLAS fellowships and other major awards are not eligible.

FLAS Fellowships

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships support many of our students. For detailed information about this opportunity, please click here for the FLAS FAQ page.

Graduate Assistantships

The Asian Studies Program has two teaching assistantships currently available for each academic year. Appointees must carry at least 6 units of credit each semester and maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA. The award includes a tuition waiver and a stipend for a 9-month appointment.

To be eligible for a Graduate Assistantships, an applicant must

  • have a strong background in Asian Studies
  • have high scholastic record;
  • be admitted as a graduate student;
  • evidence a high level of English proficiency (for non-native speakers of English).

Send letter of application, resume, and names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references to

Chair of Asian Studies
Moore Hall 412
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1890 East-West Road
Honolulu HI 96822
Fax: 808.956.2682

The application deadline is March 3.

East-West Center Graduate Fellowships

The East-West Center is a non-degree granting educational institution located on the UH Manoa campus. Established in 1960 by the United States Congress, the Center serves as a catalyst and link among the peoples of some 60 countries and territories in an area encompassing Pakistan eastward through Asia to Japan, and from Australia across the Pacific to the United States. Each year some 2,000 research fellows, graduate students and professionals in business and government from Asia, the Pacific, and the United States work with the Center’s staff on issues of mutual concern.

EWC Graduate Fellowships are available to individuals interested in participating in the educational and research programs at the EWC while pursuing a master’s or doctorate degree at the University of Hawai’i; preference is given to those in a master’s degree program. Fellowships are granted on an annual basis but may be renewed depending in part on timely and satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree and East-West Center requirements.

Applicants must be citizens or legal permanent residents of an Asian or Pacific country, or the United States. Award recipients who are not US citizens or permanent residents must meet all exchange visitor (J-1) visa regulations. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 is required for nonnative speakers of English. For most non-US applicants, application must be made to the Center’s in-country program representative. Application deadlines for the in-country competitions vary and are usually earlier than the deadline for US citizens/permanent residents, therefore the program representative should be contacted as soon as possible. Postmark application deadline for US citizens or permanent residents is November 1. Further information may be obtained by writing to the East-West Center, Office of Award Services, Room 2066, 1601 East-West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848; tel: 808.944.7735.

Graduate Student Organization Travel Fund

The Graduate Student Organization (GSO) of the University of Hawaii has a travel fund to provide assistance to UH graduate students making scholarly/artistic presentations at conferences and professional meetings on the mainland and elsewhere. There are three award periods:

      • January 15 to June 14, deadline January 1
      • June 15 to September 14, deadline June 1
      • September 15 to January 14, deadline September 1

Applicants must be classified graduate students. Contact GSO for application forms and more detailed information on the amount of stipends at 808.956.8776/8018/4832, Hemenway Hall 212.

Scholarships and Fellowships from Area Centers

Center for Japanese Studies Scholarships and Fellowships

Center for Korean Studies Scholarships and Fellowships

Center for Philippine Studies Scholarships and Fellowships

Center for South Asian Studies Scholarships

Center for South Asian Studies Fellowships

Once again, please direct your questions about scholarships and fellowships to the School of Pacific and Asian Studies Fellowships Coordinator, Dr. Chizuko Allen.