American Studies home page

The “MA-en-route”

Some students enter the doctoral program with an MA in American Studies or a related field; others enter with only a bachelor’s degree, or an MA in a different discipline. For the latter, we recommend that they earn an MA “en route” to the PhD, as having an MA will provide a wider range of funding options. A student can request that the Graduate Chair petition the Office of Graduate Education for an MA degree upon completion of the doctoral Qualifying Exams. Or, should a student want an “MA-en-route” prior to taking the Qualifying Exams, she can take the MA Plan B exams any time after completing ten courses (30 credits).