While liberal arts programs offer a well-rounded education, participating in academic enrichment opportunities can provide you with added hands-on experience and opportunities to further explore your academic and personal interests. You can take action in many ways, including the following:
- Directed Reading and Research Courses – these experiences are offered through academic departments such as your major department, wherein you consult with a professor who helps you develop a custom experience to research a topic of interest or gain work experience.
Practicum, Internship, Teaching and Field Work Courses – allows you to gain career-related work experiences. These experiences are offered through academic departments such as your major department, or through the Mānoa Career Center. These experiences may permit you to earn college credit or money.
- Service Learning – allows you to incorporate community service into your educational plan. For a complete listing of available opportunities, see the Service Learning Program website.
- Co-curricular Activities – provides opportunities for students to gain leadership experience and be active contributors to the campus through participation in a variety of student organizations and programs. See Student Life & Development for more information.
Your educational plan may also include opportunities that allow you to study for a semester/year at another institution, both nationally and abroad. Here are some examples:
- National Student Exchange (NSE) Program – provides full-time undergraduates with the opportunity to study for a semester or a year at a participating college/ university located across the Continental U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands. For more information, see the NSE website.
- Experience Abroad – provides students with the opportunity to take coursework abroad while experiencing a different culture. Courses are offered in a wide range of studies in countries throughout the world. If you are interested in an experience abroad, you may contact the Study Abroad Center or Mānoa International Exchange (MIX).