Western Undergraduate Exchange

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a tuition program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). The WUE tuition rate ($16,956) is 150 percent of the University's resident tuition rate. The following regions are eligible for participation in the WUE:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
  • U.S. Pacific Territories and Freely Associated States*

*Only American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI), Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Guam, and the Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) can participate in the WUE at this time.


All undergraduate majors at UH Mānoa qualify for the WUE program. The determination of eligibility will be based upon the information that you provide on the online application.

Please note that the following majors/status' are not eligible for the WUE:
  • 2nd Bachelor Degree students accepted to UH Manoa prior to Fall 2020
  • Unclassified status
  • Students participating in A Semester In Hawaiʻi (ASH) exchange program


  • By participating in the WUE tuition program, tuition is reduced on the basis of residency of a region listed above.
  • Because tuition is reduced on the basis of residency of a region listed above, the process of establishing Hawaiʻi residency for tuition purposes cannot happen until after terminating participation in the WUE for a period of one year (AND meeting the necessary requirements to be eligible for resident tuition status during that one year). For more information on establishing Hawaiʻi residency for tuition purposes, contact the Office of Admissions.
  • Should you choose not to participate in the WUE program, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Additional WUE Resources


What is the tuition cost for a WUE student?

WUE tuition is 150% the resident tuition cost.

Is the WUE a scholarship?

No. WUE is a tuition reduction program, which means scholarships and grants can be awarded in addition to WUE.

How do I stay eligible for WUE?

You can keep your WUE status as long as you are a continuing undergraduate student and do not change state of residency. Students need to register for at least one credit each semester. If there is a break in attendance, not including summer, without a formal leave of absence, you must re-apply for admissions to be considered for WUE.

Where do I view my WUE tuition status?

You can view your tuition through MyUH portal.